Record-breaking skydive to be broadcast at MSC today
Students passing through the Marshall Student Center (MSC) lobby between 8 a.m. and noon today will witness a record-breaking feat as Felix Baumgartner, a 43-year-old Austrian skydiver, attempts to jump from an altitude of 120,000 feet 23 miles above the Earths crust.
Sponsored by Red Bull, the event has been three years in planning, according to its website. Baumgartner will launch from New Mexico at 8 a.m., wearing a spacesuit designed by a team of doctors, engineers and scientists, in a special stratospheric capsule, before he makes his dive at 11 a.m.
The MSC set up a screen and projector Monday afternoon to count down to the jump, which will be captured by 35 cameras and livestreamed into the MSC and across the country.
The current world record for highest jump is held by Joe Kuttinger, a retired U.S. Air Force colonel who jumped from an altitude of 102,800 feet in 1960 and serves as an adviser to Baumgartners mission.
USF student body President Brian Goff said a student first contacted him with the idea and asked if USF would be interested in livestreaming the jump.
I said Yeah, it would be cool. Lets see if we can get it set up, Goff said.
Goff said he has a class at 8 a.m., but plans to watch the rest of the stream afterward.
Its really interesting, he said. I really hope we can achieve this feat tomorrow.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Garza: It's OK to talk about race
- Fernandez reaches 300 win plateau in 30-point win
- Students plan protest for Inauguration Day
- Sexual harassment lawsuit involving USF professor settled
- The division of Black Lives Matter
- Ways to find internships before graduation
- EDITORIAL: No nostalgia spared for end of Ringling Bros. circus
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Top Tips for Timely Performance Driving
- Wellness Program Rewards Healthy New Year's Goals
- New Medical Supplement Offers Advance in Bladder Control
- Get An Edge on College Prep Tests
- Noodles to the Rescue: Make Dinner In a Snap
- Student Athletes Emulate the Pros in Abusing Prescription...
- Specialized Firefighter Training Helps Save Farmers' Lives
- One New Year's Resolution You Don't Have to Keep to Be a...
- Reverse Mortgage Can Help With Retirement Planning
- How to Protect Your Data in a Connected World
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College Students Head Back to Campus with Amazon Prime Student
- Phi Kappa Phi 2017 Award Programs Now Open
- MAX FROST RELEASES NEW VIDEO FOR INFECTIOUS TRACK "ADDERALL"
- PEPSICO AND 21ST CENTURY FOX ANNOUNCE "THE SEARCH FOR HIDDEN FIGURES"
- The Most Popular Entry-Level Jobs and Companies for College Graduates