Record-breaking skydive to be broadcast at MSC today
Students passing through the Marshall Student Center (MSC) lobby between 8 a.m. and noon today will witness a record-breaking feat as Felix Baumgartner, a 43-year-old Austrian skydiver, attempts to jump from an altitude of 120,000 feet 23 miles above the Earths crust.
Sponsored by Red Bull, the event has been three years in planning, according to its website. Baumgartner will launch from New Mexico at 8 a.m., wearing a spacesuit designed by a team of doctors, engineers and scientists, in a special stratospheric capsule, before he makes his dive at 11 a.m.
The MSC set up a screen and projector Monday afternoon to count down to the jump, which will be captured by 35 cameras and livestreamed into the MSC and across the country.
The current world record for highest jump is held by Joe Kuttinger, a retired U.S. Air Force colonel who jumped from an altitude of 102,800 feet in 1960 and serves as an adviser to Baumgartners mission.
USF student body President Brian Goff said a student first contacted him with the idea and asked if USF would be interested in livestreaming the jump.
I said Yeah, it would be cool. Lets see if we can get it set up, Goff said.
Goff said he has a class at 8 a.m., but plans to watch the rest of the stream afterward.
Its really interesting, he said. I really hope we can achieve this feat tomorrow.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Every Room Tells a Story if You Set the Stage
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership
- PAOLO NUTINI CELEBRATES U.S. RELEASE OF “CAUSTIC LOVE”