Record-breaking skydive to be broadcast at MSC today
Students passing through the Marshall Student Center (MSC) lobby between 8 a.m. and noon today will witness a record-breaking feat as Felix Baumgartner, a 43-year-old Austrian skydiver, attempts to jump from an altitude of 120,000 feet 23 miles above the Earths crust.
Sponsored by Red Bull, the event has been three years in planning, according to its website. Baumgartner will launch from New Mexico at 8 a.m., wearing a spacesuit designed by a team of doctors, engineers and scientists, in a special stratospheric capsule, before he makes his dive at 11 a.m.
The MSC set up a screen and projector Monday afternoon to count down to the jump, which will be captured by 35 cameras and livestreamed into the MSC and across the country.
The current world record for highest jump is held by Joe Kuttinger, a retired U.S. Air Force colonel who jumped from an altitude of 102,800 feet in 1960 and serves as an adviser to Baumgartners mission.
USF student body President Brian Goff said a student first contacted him with the idea and asked if USF would be interested in livestreaming the jump.
I said Yeah, it would be cool. Lets see if we can get it set up, Goff said.
Goff said he has a class at 8 a.m., but plans to watch the rest of the stream afterward.
Its really interesting, he said. I really hope we can achieve this feat tomorrow.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Quinton Flowers wins AAC Offensive Player of the Year
- BOT formally approves Genshaft bonus
- Top 10 moments of the fall semester
- Netflix: No Wi-Fi needed
- USF Health Services sees spike in clients as exams near
- USF System President Genshaft up for performance-based stipend
- USF students reflect on fall semester
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Three Simple Swaps for a Healthier Lunch
- Epilepsy Awareness Day 2016 Largest Turnout Ever
- Give the Gift of Connectivity, Without the Stress
- New Cancer Treatment Continues to Progress By Filing for...
- How Many Years Does it Take to Become a Doctor of...
- Many Working Mothers Can't Afford Their Health Insurance...
- A Date with Destiny: Video Games Teach Kids Life Lessons
- The Magic Number for Millennials: $51,000
- A New Read on Literacy: The 3 Keys to Building Lifelong...
- Celebra una fiesta de Posadas inolvidable para tu familia...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- PEPSICO AND 21ST CENTURY FOX ANNOUNCE "THE SEARCH FOR HIDDEN FIGURES"
- The Most Popular Entry-Level Jobs and Companies for College Graduates
- National Meningitis Association Urges Students to take Pledge2Prevent
- American Cancer Society and CVS Health Foundation Award Grants to Help 20 Colleges and Universities Go Tobacco-Free in Largest Initiative of Its Kind
- BPU Offers Sentiment Analysis Free to Universities