Rapes reported in on-campus residence halls
Two cases of rape were reported on campus. Both cases took place in residence halls and cases in which the suspects were acquainted with the victims, according to University Police Public Information Officer Lt. Chris Daniel.
The first sexual battery was reported Sunday afternoon and occurred at approximately 1:30 a.m. that day in the Juniper-Poplar residence hall, Daniel said. UP identified the suspect and continue to investigate the case.
The second sexual battery was reported Monday and occurred the morning of Aug. 23 in Castor Hall. UP identified the suspect and continues to investigate the case, he said. The Center for Victim Advocacy and Violence Prevention was notified in both cases.
In both cases, Daniel said the victims were acquainted with the suspects.
“Unfortunately, it’s not uncommon that these circumstances arise from personal relationships and things are misconstrued and people taken advantage of… It’s still a crime though,” he said. “Because it is an acquainted relationship, we do not take it any less seriously.”
If a student ever feels unsafe in any situation, Daniel said students should feel comfortable talking to university officials who are all equipped to handle situations in which safety becomes an issue.
Daniel also said students should contact the UP dispatch center (813-974-2628) or even 911 if they feel there is any chance of danger.
“911 is not a system people should shy away from,” he said. “If they are uncomfortable, that is what it is designed for.”
Daniel also encourages that students use various self-defense and safety programs available at the university such as RAD, a self-defense class for women that teaches rape aggression defense.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Tampa continues to tackle public transportation issue
- Oracle sports staff tackles NFL mock drafts
- Men's golf conference champs for third straight year
- SG plans scream event to help relieve stress before finals
- USF baseball's biggest enemy: its own schedule
- Dismissed Duke players land at USF
- Philosopher discusses safe education and a polarized country
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Streaming Content Box Cuts Your Cable and Costs
- Non-Profit Venture Fund Seeks to Support The American Dream
- Sustained Happiness Starts from Within
- Reverse Mortgages Benefit Younger Seniors
- Sunshine State Shining New Light on the Banking Industry
- Honoring Moms : How 3 Inspiring Women are Changing the World
- Look Before You Buy: Virtual Reality Comes to Home...
- Olympic Power Couple Teams Up to Fight Blood Cancers with...
- Two Meals in One: Arborio Rice, Perfect for Risotto &...
- New Nighttime Grind Guard Relieves Jaw Pain
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- American U. professor predicts Trump will be impeached in new book
- Comic Book and Sports Card Show
- A Harvard Dean's 5 Essential Questions for Success
- COLLEGE STUDENTS: DO THESE THREE THINGS THIS SUMMER TO BOOST YOUR FINANCES
- Annual PepsiCo/SWE Student Engineering Challenge Gives Undergraduates Real-World Engineering Practicum