Quarterback battle still unresolved for USF
The quarterback battle that began with B.J. Daniels injury has yet to be settled for the USF football team.
After going through a full bye week of practices, the Bulls are still undecided on the starting quarterback for this weekends game against the Miami Hurricanes. Freshman Matt Floyd and junior Bobby Eveld are competing for the spot.
Weve said that we will allow them to compete until a clear-cut starter is defined, coach Skip Holtz said. And I dont think that has happened yet. Both are completing about 63 percent of their passes, so right now its a great competitive battle.
While Eveld has the experience of playing against the Hurricanes in 2010 when he led the Bulls to an overtime win after stepping in for Daniels after halftime Floyd has his own advantages in the battle.
Hes got a little more work this season and hes a little bit more mobile, offensive coordinator Todd Fitch said. He gets the ball out a little quicker and is more athletic. The mobility and ability to get the ball out a hair quicker is probably where I see his edge. Bobby has a bit of a stronger arm, but I think the athleticism will be Matts edge.
Holtz said the Bulls are not considering a two-quarterback system with both Eveld and Floyd getting snaps.
Were not looking to do a two-platoon system, he said. I think if we wanted to run that system we could, but thats not the answer that Im looking for right now. Id rather be able to identify a clear-cut starter. Id like to identify one on the field, and if not then well probably go through Thursday and name one then.
Whoever takes over as quarterback for the USF football team will have the advantage of seniors on the offensive line returning from injury.
Seniors Mark Popek and Danous Estenor were seen back at practice after suffering injuries against Louisville and Syracuse, respectively.
We said Lets go for individual workouts, which turned into going through the segment work, which turned into going with the team, Holtz said. Both of them look sharp. Especially how long theyve been out, I didnt expect them to be that far along.
Big East divisions set
With new additions to the Big East Conference in 2013 come new football divisions, which were announced Tuesday.
The East division will have USF, UCF, Connecticut, Cincinnati, Rutgers and Louisville, while the West division will have new arrivals in Boise State, Houston, Memphis, SMU, San Diego State, and the returning Temple.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- When It Comes to Winter Roof Checkups, the Attic Is Your...
- Is It Time to Sell Your Structured Settlement for Cash?
- Pest Proof Now to Protect Homes for Winter
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections