Pro-ana bracelets reveal dark side of online community support
Not all options for seeking help for eating disorders are necessarily healthy, as seen in recent years with the rise of pro-anorexia, or “pro-ana,” communities on message boards and “thinspiration” images on Tumblr that promote unhealthy weight loss.
A new piece of jewelry called the “Pro-Ana Red Weave Bracelet” attempts to instill a sense of community for those dealing with anorexia by allowing those who wear it to subtly relate to others with the same bracelet. However, the bracelet is promoted by a pro-ana website and was initially advertised as a reminder to stick to an anorexic “diet.”
While pro-ana sites are not new, it is still vile to further the danger of eating disorders by promoting it as a “diet” and preying on those with the disease to earn a profit.
Eating disorders are nothing to toy around with, especially considering that approximately 24 million people of all ages and genders have an eating disorder in the U.S., according to the Renfrew Center Foundation for Eating Disorders.
Likely due to recent backlash, the pro-ana website, myproana.com, that sells the $14 bracelets changed the description of the bracelet from saying it is a reminder for people to “stay true” to their “diet” to instead a reminder of the “daily struggles” of those with an eating disorder.
Aside from this cheap save coming from a website that offers downloadable “thinspiration” and promotes the seriousness of anorexia as an attainable diet, it makes the concept of community among those with eating disorders toxic.
As the bracelet was initially marketed, its purpose was to maintain the habits associated with anorexia rather than advocate that those dealing with it should seek help. By implication, a product that is meant to create a distinct connection with others who are anorexic would then serve for them to hold each other accountable in what the website considers a “diet.”
While seeking help is always the best option when dealing with an eating disorder or other medical problems, the least any kind of product created for people suffering from them can do is create a sense of community with a foundation of healing and positivity.
One alarming aspect of the bracelet that has many people concerned is that they are now sold out.
The main goal of these bracelets is seemingly to take advantage of people with eating disorders and turn the harm of anorexia into an item that can be bought and sold.
However, a deadly disorder should never be addressed so trivially. For women, the mortality rate associated with anorexia is 12 times higher than the death rates related to all causes of death between the ages of 15 and 24, according to the American Journal of Psychiatry.
The bottom line is that anorexia is not a “diet” that can be marketed the way Jenny Craig or Weight Watchers are, and should never be reduced to a mere accessory.
Isabelle Cavazos is a
sophomore majoring in English.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- ‘Jurassic World’ brings dino excitement back to life
- Haitian students to lead discussion on Caribbean migration crisis
- Schools share strategies for student success
- SCOTUS ruling not a personal attack against conservatives
- Woulard announces transfer to USF
- Antigua fills void with Penn State transfer
- Taggart adds offensive line depth
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Pointers for Packing the Perfect Summer Picnic
- Natural Snacks Make Nutritious Meals
- How American-Made Products Benefit Many
- Los Hispanos Celebran El Verano Con Diversión,...
- Minimizing the Mess: How to Keep a Clean Home With Kids
- Millennials Help Boost the Popularity of ETFs
- How to Handle the Potential Pitfalls of Dating
- Smart Homes Save Time and Money
- Simple Steps to Safeguard Your Second Home
- Smart Ways to Save on Home Insurance
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- vitaminwater® Announces Project Hustle Finalists
- Supermodel Jaslene Gonzalez to Speak at Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority 25th Anniversary Sisterhood Retreat
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS
- NEW WEBSITE FEATURES COLLEGE PROFESSORS EXCLUSIVELY AS ONLINE TUTORS
- Dickinson College and Jadu Reinvent Website and Portal with 'Single Experience Student Platform'