Pitino: USF job would be ‘grand slam’ for Masiello
In the week following former USF coach Stan Heath’s dismissal, two potential USF coaching targets have already been signed to new teams. Bruce Pearl and Buzz Williams were good candidates for the job due to their prior success and experience. However, as jobs opened up, Pearl signed a six-year deal with Auburn and Williams inked a seven-year deal with Virginia Tech.
With these two coaches out of the running, a new name has surfaced in the rumor mill: Manhattan coach Steve Masiello.
Last Thursday night, Masiello coached the Jaspers against the Louisville Cardinals in the second round of the NCAA tournament. Masiello played for Louisville coach Rick Pitino in college and moved on to become his assistant coach. As the two men coached together for six seasons, Masiello was able to prepare his team well for the Cardinals.
As the Jaspers nearly upset No. 4 seeded Louisville, holding a lead until 2:35 left in the game when the Cardinals were able to capture the victory, Masiello and his team showed the country they were a force to be reckoned with.
As reported by the Tampa Bay Times, with Masiello’s season over, he talked with Pitino on Friday night about the job opening at USF.
Masiello asked Pitino what he thought of the job and Pitino told him “For you, it’s a grand slam.”
CBSSports reported the USF/Masiello connection Saturday afternoon and ESPN confirmed Sunday that Pitino was pitching the idea to Masiello over the weekend.
Masiello has led the Jaspers to a 60-39 record in three years, including winning the conference tournament this season and appearing in the
The official coaching search is being led by Eastman & Beaudine, the same firm that hired newly appointed Athletic Director Mark Harlan. The search is officially set to begin today.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Winning streak extends to 19 with 7-3 win over UNF
- Mack, Adams run limited drills at USF's Pro Day
- Yaa Gyasi lecture rescheduled for tonight
- Walk Like MADD 5k a celebration of life
- Budget blueprint a dangerous negotiation
- USF football's offense going up-tempo under Strong
- CLCE to use simulation to teach students about refugee experiences
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Seniors Find That Doing Good Is Good For You
- University Students Take Top Honors at CME Group's Annual...
- Telecom and Cloud Service Options Expand in Africa
- Depression Sufferers Find Hope With New Sound Technology
- Going With Your Gut -- Virtual Colonoscopy Simplifies...
- Entrepreneurs Provide TIPS! Monthly Yield Now Makes Sense
- Amid Opioid Abuse Crisis, Back Pain Sufferers Look to...
- How an Ex-College Athlete Survived His Use of...
- Frustrated Seniors Are Often Served Meals They Dislike Or...
- Help Protect The Young Adult Lifestyle
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- GREEN AMERICA: ONE MILLION TREES COULD BE SAVED EACH YEAR IF UNIVERSITIES SWITCHED TO ONLY RECYCLED PAPER FOR ALUMNI MAGAZINES
- Deadline Approaching for the Phi Kappa Phi Fellowship Program
- Entries Are Open for 9th Annual SVG/NACDA College Sports Media Awards
- Investor Bitcoin Investment Plans Guarantee Zero Losses
- New App Promises to Revolutionize the Way We Experience Video