Pitino: USF job would be ‘grand slam’ for Masiello
In the week following former USF coach Stan Heath’s dismissal, two potential USF coaching targets have already been signed to new teams. Bruce Pearl and Buzz Williams were good candidates for the job due to their prior success and experience. However, as jobs opened up, Pearl signed a six-year deal with Auburn and Williams inked a seven-year deal with Virginia Tech.
With these two coaches out of the running, a new name has surfaced in the rumor mill: Manhattan coach Steve Masiello.
Last Thursday night, Masiello coached the Jaspers against the Louisville Cardinals in the second round of the NCAA tournament. Masiello played for Louisville coach Rick Pitino in college and moved on to become his assistant coach. As the two men coached together for six seasons, Masiello was able to prepare his team well for the Cardinals.
As the Jaspers nearly upset No. 4 seeded Louisville, holding a lead until 2:35 left in the game when the Cardinals were able to capture the victory, Masiello and his team showed the country they were a force to be reckoned with.
As reported by the Tampa Bay Times, with Masiello’s season over, he talked with Pitino on Friday night about the job opening at USF.
Masiello asked Pitino what he thought of the job and Pitino told him “For you, it’s a grand slam.”
CBSSports reported the USF/Masiello connection Saturday afternoon and ESPN confirmed Sunday that Pitino was pitching the idea to Masiello over the weekend.
Masiello has led the Jaspers to a 60-39 record in three years, including winning the conference tournament this season and appearing in the
The official coaching search is being led by Eastman & Beaudine, the same firm that hired newly appointed Athletic Director Mark Harlan. The search is officially set to begin today.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- A bond between brothers
- As exams near, student stress levels soar
- Message to draftees: Don’t mess this up
- Bulls held scoreless in midweek loss to Stetson
- As need for cybersecurity grows, USF class offers solutions
- Florida should pass laws to help women
- Tampa continues to tackle public transportation issue
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Four Tech Tools That Can Help Your Small Business Grow
- Streaming Content Box Cuts Your Cable and Costs
- Non-Profit Venture Fund Seeks to Support The American Dream
- Sustained Happiness Starts from Within
- Reverse Mortgages Benefit Younger Seniors
- Sunshine State Shining New Light on the Banking Industry
- Honoring Moms : How 3 Inspiring Women are Changing the World
- Look Before You Buy: Virtual Reality Comes to Home...
- Olympic Power Couple Teams Up to Fight Blood Cancers with...
- Two Meals in One: Arborio Rice, Perfect for Risotto &...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- American U. professor predicts Trump will be impeached in new book
- Comic Book and Sports Card Show
- A Harvard Dean's 5 Essential Questions for Success
- COLLEGE STUDENTS: DO THESE THREE THINGS THIS SUMMER TO BOOST YOUR FINANCES
- Annual PepsiCo/SWE Student Engineering Challenge Gives Undergraduates Real-World Engineering Practicum