Pitino: USF job would be ‘grand slam’ for Masiello
In the week following former USF coach Stan Heath’s dismissal, two potential USF coaching targets have already been signed to new teams. Bruce Pearl and Buzz Williams were good candidates for the job due to their prior success and experience. However, as jobs opened up, Pearl signed a six-year deal with Auburn and Williams inked a seven-year deal with Virginia Tech.
With these two coaches out of the running, a new name has surfaced in the rumor mill: Manhattan coach Steve Masiello.
Last Thursday night, Masiello coached the Jaspers against the Louisville Cardinals in the second round of the NCAA tournament. Masiello played for Louisville coach Rick Pitino in college and moved on to become his assistant coach. As the two men coached together for six seasons, Masiello was able to prepare his team well for the Cardinals.
As the Jaspers nearly upset No. 4 seeded Louisville, holding a lead until 2:35 left in the game when the Cardinals were able to capture the victory, Masiello and his team showed the country they were a force to be reckoned with.
As reported by the Tampa Bay Times, with Masiello’s season over, he talked with Pitino on Friday night about the job opening at USF.
Masiello asked Pitino what he thought of the job and Pitino told him “For you, it’s a grand slam.”
CBSSports reported the USF/Masiello connection Saturday afternoon and ESPN confirmed Sunday that Pitino was pitching the idea to Masiello over the weekend.
Masiello has led the Jaspers to a 60-39 record in three years, including winning the conference tournament this season and appearing in the
The official coaching search is being led by Eastman & Beaudine, the same firm that hired newly appointed Athletic Director Mark Harlan. The search is officially set to begin today.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Cosplayers to suit up for Tampa Bay Comic Con
- Search continues for graves at Dozier
- USF Athletics: What you might have missed this summer
- Pujol represents Bulls in FIBA World Cup
- The health consequences of a night with Netflix
- Colleges should worry about losing funding over Title IX violations
- Renovations revitalize USF Bookstore
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit