Osterman, Bulls prepare for No. 1 UConn at home
The USF women’s basketball team went through practice as usual with its coaching staff, concluding with routine free throws.
While the coaches’ time with players included basketball fundamentals, associate head coach Jeff Osterman felt the need to include intangibles, actions that players do to help the team win that don’t show up on the stat sheet, for their game Sunday at home against No. 1 UConn.
“I can teach how to box out and shoot, but it’s more about can you do it consistently at that high level,” Osterman said. “If I can get into their minds that (practicing 10 shots) are all game winners, that could be the difference against a UConn run before halftime or a last possession.”
Osterman was tasked with reinforcing intangibles in place of head coach Jose Fernandez, who was admitted to the hospital Sunday morning after having a delayed allergic reaction, which was reportedly caused by some prescribed medication. This stay follows his admission two weeks ago for diverticulitis, or inflammation of the large intestine wall.
During their 81-53 loss in Hartford, Conn., Osterman he thought it was “encouraging” to see the team scoring against UConn.
But USF was only able to keep UConn’s lead down to
single digits only for the first eight minutes before the Huskies
“I think the best part of UConn is their mental toughness,” Osterman said. “It’s almost robotic that they keep attacking, waiting for you to break down either physically or mentally and then it’s a six or eight to nothing run.”
Osterman’s message got through to senior guard Inga Orekhova, who hit two 3-pointers during that eight minute time span against UConn.
“We’re not going to get down on ourselves because (when we did), that’s when they went on a run and it was hard to get back,” Orekhova said.
While there is still no word from doctors on Fernandez’s return, Osterman expects him to return to the team soon.
The Bulls tip off against UConn at 4 p.m.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- LED Technology Helping People See The World in a Whole...
- Ice Dams Put Homes at Risk for Termites
- 5 Tips to Having a Happy, Healthy Heart
- What Does Million in IRS Budget Cuts Mean for Taxpayers?
- Workers Say a Good Cup of Coffee Can Make Entire Workday...
- Fresh Fruit Delivers Fun and Nutrition
- Say No to the Knife: Reduce the Likeliness Of Surgery...
- Give Your Kitchen a New Look With a Lighting Update
- Garden Project Spreads Its Roots in Urban Areas
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- WHOLE YOU CHALLENGES THE HEALTHCARE INDUSTRY AND PUBLIC TO HELP FIND SOLUTIONS FOR THOSE WITH ORAL AND VISION LIMITATIONS
- 10 Reasons Why Cancun is the Spring Break Mecca of the World
- What's Next in Learning Spaces?
- carpooling, Europe's No. 1 ridesharing app, debuts in U.S. to college market
- PwC US Launches CareerAdvisor