Orekhova leads Bulls to win

By Rames Ali, SPORTS EDITOR
On November 26, 2012

On a team known for its veteran leadership across the roster, a junior guard led the womens basketball team to yet another victory over the weekend.

Inga Orekhova displayed strong shooting and aggressive scoring on her way to a career-high 23 points while carrying the Bulls to a dominant second half in USFs fourth straight victory, 85-58 over North Dakota.

This might have been Ingas best game, shot-selection wise, coach Jose Fernandez said. She took high-percentage shots, and the good thing was our guards were able to find her. I dont think she forced the issue or took quick shots, and her percentage reflects that.

After finding ways to win tough games against Clemson and Bradley, the Bulls and Orekhova breezed to a 10-point halftime lead before closing the door with a 49-point second half outscoring North Dakota by 17 in the final 20 minutes.

Orekhova finished the game shooting 8-for-14 and made five three-pointers a stat she led the team in a season ago and tallied 23 points, seven rebounds, two assists and two steals.

As a shooter, I like facing a zone defense, Orekhova said. As a team, everyone can score for us and contribute, and that opens up shots for us on the outside.

The 6-foot-2 junior was one of three Bulls in double figures in a strong offensive night for the team. The Bulls shot 49 percent from the field and finished with 85 points a mark they only reached one time last season, and 13 points above their season average.

Orekhova and the Bulls will look to move to 5-0 on Wednesday night when they head on their second road trip of the season, taking on UNC-Asheville.