Orekhova leads Bulls to win
On a team known for its veteran leadership across the roster, a junior guard led the womens basketball team to yet another victory over the weekend.
Inga Orekhova displayed strong shooting and aggressive scoring on her way to a career-high 23 points while carrying the Bulls to a dominant second half in USFs fourth straight victory, 85-58 over North Dakota.
This might have been Ingas best game, shot-selection wise, coach Jose Fernandez said. She took high-percentage shots, and the good thing was our guards were able to find her. I dont think she forced the issue or took quick shots, and her percentage reflects that.
After finding ways to win tough games against Clemson and Bradley, the Bulls and Orekhova breezed to a 10-point halftime lead before closing the door with a 49-point second half outscoring North Dakota by 17 in the final 20 minutes.
Orekhova finished the game shooting 8-for-14 and made five three-pointers a stat she led the team in a season ago and tallied 23 points, seven rebounds, two assists and two steals.
As a shooter, I like facing a zone defense, Orekhova said. As a team, everyone can score for us and contribute, and that opens up shots for us on the outside.
The 6-foot-2 junior was one of three Bulls in double figures in a strong offensive night for the team. The Bulls shot 49 percent from the field and finished with 85 points a mark they only reached one time last season, and 13 points above their season average.
Orekhova and the Bulls will look to move to 5-0 on Wednesday night when they head on their second road trip of the season, taking on UNC-Asheville.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Cosplayers to suit up for Tampa Bay Comic Con
- Search continues for graves at Dozier
- USF Athletics: What you might have missed this summer
- Pujol represents Bulls in FIBA World Cup
- The health consequences of a night with Netflix
- Colleges should worry about losing funding over Title IX violations
- Renovations revitalize USF Bookstore
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit
- Pinching Penny Stocks May Be the Wise Way to Invest