Orekhova leads Bulls to win
On a team known for its veteran leadership across the roster, a junior guard led the womens basketball team to yet another victory over the weekend.
Inga Orekhova displayed strong shooting and aggressive scoring on her way to a career-high 23 points while carrying the Bulls to a dominant second half in USFs fourth straight victory, 85-58 over North Dakota.
This might have been Ingas best game, shot-selection wise, coach Jose Fernandez said. She took high-percentage shots, and the good thing was our guards were able to find her. I dont think she forced the issue or took quick shots, and her percentage reflects that.
After finding ways to win tough games against Clemson and Bradley, the Bulls and Orekhova breezed to a 10-point halftime lead before closing the door with a 49-point second half outscoring North Dakota by 17 in the final 20 minutes.
Orekhova finished the game shooting 8-for-14 and made five three-pointers a stat she led the team in a season ago and tallied 23 points, seven rebounds, two assists and two steals.
As a shooter, I like facing a zone defense, Orekhova said. As a team, everyone can score for us and contribute, and that opens up shots for us on the outside.
The 6-foot-2 junior was one of three Bulls in double figures in a strong offensive night for the team. The Bulls shot 49 percent from the field and finished with 85 points a mark they only reached one time last season, and 13 points above their season average.
Orekhova and the Bulls will look to move to 5-0 on Wednesday night when they head on their second road trip of the season, taking on UNC-Asheville.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- 10 Questions to Ask About the Medicines You Take
- The Prenatal Vitamin Your Mom Wishes She Had
- Help Find the Best Cancer Treatments for Kids
- Are You Eating Enough Vegetables a Day?
- Encryption Technology for Your Privacy
- Get to Know Sarcoidosis: A Complex, Misunderstood Disease
- What Is Million?
- Sugar Gliders, Pangolins & Foxes, Oh My! New Novel...
- Mom Knows Best: Even When Buying a Mother's Day Gift
- What the H? Rhum Finally Arrives to the Cocktail Party
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- American Cancer Society and CVS Health Launch Bold Initiative to Help
- Course Hero Launches New Android App to Help Students Study Anywhere
- Ready for summer? Your next move can save you money, on self storage.
- GSK to Host "Rowing & Cycling Challenge" on World Meningitis Day
- Read the groundbreaking new book from Jeff Selingo, THERE IS LIFE AFTER COLLEGE