Orekhova leads Bulls to win
On a team known for its veteran leadership across the roster, a junior guard led the womens basketball team to yet another victory over the weekend.
Inga Orekhova displayed strong shooting and aggressive scoring on her way to a career-high 23 points while carrying the Bulls to a dominant second half in USFs fourth straight victory, 85-58 over North Dakota.
This might have been Ingas best game, shot-selection wise, coach Jose Fernandez said. She took high-percentage shots, and the good thing was our guards were able to find her. I dont think she forced the issue or took quick shots, and her percentage reflects that.
After finding ways to win tough games against Clemson and Bradley, the Bulls and Orekhova breezed to a 10-point halftime lead before closing the door with a 49-point second half outscoring North Dakota by 17 in the final 20 minutes.
Orekhova finished the game shooting 8-for-14 and made five three-pointers a stat she led the team in a season ago and tallied 23 points, seven rebounds, two assists and two steals.
As a shooter, I like facing a zone defense, Orekhova said. As a team, everyone can score for us and contribute, and that opens up shots for us on the outside.
The 6-foot-2 junior was one of three Bulls in double figures in a strong offensive night for the team. The Bulls shot 49 percent from the field and finished with 85 points a mark they only reached one time last season, and 13 points above their season average.
Orekhova and the Bulls will look to move to 5-0 on Wednesday night when they head on their second road trip of the season, taking on UNC-Asheville.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- USF assistant coach resigns amid NCAA investigation
- UP arrests Clearwater man for sexual battery
- A student-driven upgrade: USF Health expands to better serve its students
- USF student interns in Florida Everglades
- Pokemon conquer campus: The new app “Pokemon Go” allows students to get act...
- We’ll always have Tampa: Tampa Theatre hosts Summer Classics Series
- O’Neal’s Olympic bid falls short
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Driver Safety: New Tips for Road Trips
- What to Ask About the Medicines You Take
- Summer Is the Perfect Time to Catch Up on Some Reading
- There's At Least One Thing Americans Are Satisfied With
- What to Look for in a New House This Home Buying Season
- Is Your Eye Makeup Making You Sick? What You Need to Know
- Biotech Companies Are Still the "It" Stock to Have in...
- Give Seniors a Lift With Household Chores
- On the Brink: Africa Viewed As Growth Target for Telecom
- Protect Your Family With Encryption
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Higher Education Goes Solar to Charge Mobile Devices
- Course Hero Beats Donation Goal for Books for Africa
- Course Hero Receives 2016 Top Workplace Award from Bay Area News Group
- Citavi Offers Summer Thesis-Writing Toolkit for Graduate Students
- Course Hero Welcomes Dr. Arthur Levine to their Advisory Board