Romneys riches are nothing to mock
The U.S. Senates top Republicans called for the GOP to unite behind leading presidential candidate Mitt Romney this month, a statement Vice President Joe Biden appeared to think was a joke on CBSs Face the Nation.
In the interview, Biden said, I cant remember a presidential candidate in the recent past who seems not to understand what ordinary middle-class people are thinking about and are concerned about.
Reuters has identified this as only one of many attacks by the Obama administration focusing on Romney as an out-of-touch millionaire and former businessman. But the Obama administration appears to be more out of touch with voters than Romney.
Many Democrats, including President Barack Obama, have targeted Romney as coming from the elite. One of Obamas recent attacks on Romney has been his use of the word marvelous to describe the House Republican budget plan. Obama has spent a disproportionate amount of time criticizing Romneys word usage, according to The Hill.
It is impossible to dispute that Romney comes from a well-off family. From one of his many biographies, you will immediately find that his father, George Romney, was a 1968 Republican presidential candidate and governor of Michigan. Romney is no stranger to the world of politics, but he began his career in business. Democrats may see this as a weakness, but I see it as what makes Romney a better candidate than Obama.
There is no one better to relate to the business owners of today than a man who founded his own investment firm. Romneys Bain Capital was founded in 1984 and helped launch or rebuild hundreds of companies under his leadership.
Not only did Romney found his own business, but he also did well, resulting in the opportunity to live the lavish lifestyle he is so often criticized for but entitled to.
The Obama administration may criticize Romney for being a millionaire and a businessman. However, it would appear that the real issue the ever-logical Obama campaign has with Romney is that he is familiar with how the economy works and can relate to the modern business owner. Business owners make up the majority of taxpayers, according to the Wall Street Journal. Thus, calling Romney out of touch with taxpayers is ridiculous.
As unemployment remains high and out-of-control spending is the popular motion in the U.S. government, Obama has rather foolishly pointed out Romneys strengths. As a successful businessman, Romney can offer the change that the U.S. needs.
Obama can continue to have a field day with his petty accusations on Romneys elite language. Romney has demonstrated real experience by bringing the unemployment rate in Massachusetts down to 6.9 percent, as reported by the Boston Globe. This should be far more impressive to voters than empty rhetoric.
Why, I would even go as far to say that it is marvelous.
Corrine Harris is a student at Washington State University.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
- The Most Dangerous Time of the Year? Safety Tips for the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists