Romneys riches are nothing to mock
The U.S. Senates top Republicans called for the GOP to unite behind leading presidential candidate Mitt Romney this month, a statement Vice President Joe Biden appeared to think was a joke on CBSs Face the Nation.
In the interview, Biden said, I cant remember a presidential candidate in the recent past who seems not to understand what ordinary middle-class people are thinking about and are concerned about.
Reuters has identified this as only one of many attacks by the Obama administration focusing on Romney as an out-of-touch millionaire and former businessman. But the Obama administration appears to be more out of touch with voters than Romney.
Many Democrats, including President Barack Obama, have targeted Romney as coming from the elite. One of Obamas recent attacks on Romney has been his use of the word marvelous to describe the House Republican budget plan. Obama has spent a disproportionate amount of time criticizing Romneys word usage, according to The Hill.
It is impossible to dispute that Romney comes from a well-off family. From one of his many biographies, you will immediately find that his father, George Romney, was a 1968 Republican presidential candidate and governor of Michigan. Romney is no stranger to the world of politics, but he began his career in business. Democrats may see this as a weakness, but I see it as what makes Romney a better candidate than Obama.
There is no one better to relate to the business owners of today than a man who founded his own investment firm. Romneys Bain Capital was founded in 1984 and helped launch or rebuild hundreds of companies under his leadership.
Not only did Romney found his own business, but he also did well, resulting in the opportunity to live the lavish lifestyle he is so often criticized for but entitled to.
The Obama administration may criticize Romney for being a millionaire and a businessman. However, it would appear that the real issue the ever-logical Obama campaign has with Romney is that he is familiar with how the economy works and can relate to the modern business owner. Business owners make up the majority of taxpayers, according to the Wall Street Journal. Thus, calling Romney out of touch with taxpayers is ridiculous.
As unemployment remains high and out-of-control spending is the popular motion in the U.S. government, Obama has rather foolishly pointed out Romneys strengths. As a successful businessman, Romney can offer the change that the U.S. needs.
Obama can continue to have a field day with his petty accusations on Romneys elite language. Romney has demonstrated real experience by bringing the unemployment rate in Massachusetts down to 6.9 percent, as reported by the Boston Globe. This should be far more impressive to voters than empty rhetoric.
Why, I would even go as far to say that it is marvelous.
Corrine Harris is a student at Washington State University.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Despite losing record, Bulls sets sights on conference title
- Z Baked provides warm cookies on demand
- Addicted to Apple: a dire diagnosis for millenials
- USF partners with World Health Organization
- Speaker sees astronomy through historical lens
- Bulls aim to bounce back on homestand
- USF Oliver Gallery gets ‘Down and Dirty’
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership