Googles privacy changes benefit users and businesses
The policy strives for simplicityin both length and language,and it unifies nearly all ofGoogle's services, products andwebsites. The notable changes inthe policy focus on the mergesand the ways this will affect advertising and the overallprivacy of Google's users.
Despite these baselessconcerns, Google's vice president,Alan Eustace, told NPR thatcollecting data from multipleGoogle services will give users innovative experiences. For example, by combining information gathered from the calendarfeature and data from map and traffic applications, Google can determine what time a user can leave their house so they can arrive at a scheduled meeting in San Francisco without worrying about road congestion.
new policy pledges to request consent for further changes. If users are still not convinced that the changes are harmless, there are options.
At the very least, Google isgiving users enough time to adjust should they decide to close Gmail or YouTube accounts. Ultimately, privacy groups can reprimand these policy changes, but fewpeople seem to care about how their data is used, as shown by thepopularity of Facebook.
There is no doubt that Google is prevalent and this privacypolicy change reflects a changing Internet culture. The Internet and all the technological devices that access it can be easily valued as a human right. In fact, last June the United Nations published a reportdeclaring Internet access afundamental human right.
Viewing the Internet in this sense allows us to easily forget that there are real companies seeking revenue that can justifygiving advertisers user data because this business model has gone relatively unchallenged.
Amanda Butler is a juniormajoring in sociology and women's studies.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Modern-Day Party Do's and Don'ts
- Taking Care of Your Child's Eyes in Today's Digitally...
- Will the Movie Studio be the Next Heavy Hitter?
- Survey Shows Americans' Views on Dental Hygiene Differ by...
- Fire Away: How to Prepare For Hunting Season
- Novel Program Brings Hope to African Nation
- What Health Care Really Costs
- Millennials Cited for Rise in ETF Popularity
- Today's Convenience Stores are Healthier and Hipper Than...
- Gadgets to Make Your Commute More Comfortable
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 18-25 Years Old? EARN $80 IN 90 MINUTES for Participating in Research Study
- truth® CELEBRATES SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY MOVE TO TOBACCO-FREE
- vitaminwater® Announces Project Hustle Finalists
- Supermodel Jaslene Gonzalez to Speak at Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority 25th Anniversary Sisterhood Retreat
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS