Googles privacy changes benefit users and businesses
The policy strives for simplicityin both length and language,and it unifies nearly all ofGoogle's services, products andwebsites. The notable changes inthe policy focus on the mergesand the ways this will affect advertising and the overallprivacy of Google's users.
Despite these baselessconcerns, Google's vice president,Alan Eustace, told NPR thatcollecting data from multipleGoogle services will give users innovative experiences. For example, by combining information gathered from the calendarfeature and data from map and traffic applications, Google can determine what time a user can leave their house so they can arrive at a scheduled meeting in San Francisco without worrying about road congestion.
new policy pledges to request consent for further changes. If users are still not convinced that the changes are harmless, there are options.
At the very least, Google isgiving users enough time to adjust should they decide to close Gmail or YouTube accounts. Ultimately, privacy groups can reprimand these policy changes, but fewpeople seem to care about how their data is used, as shown by thepopularity of Facebook.
There is no doubt that Google is prevalent and this privacypolicy change reflects a changing Internet culture. The Internet and all the technological devices that access it can be easily valued as a human right. In fact, last June the United Nations published a reportdeclaring Internet access afundamental human right.
Viewing the Internet in this sense allows us to easily forget that there are real companies seeking revenue that can justifygiving advertisers user data because this business model has gone relatively unchallenged.
Amanda Butler is a juniormajoring in sociology and women's studies.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- The Prenatal Vitamin Your Mom Wishes She Had
- Help Find the Best Cancer Treatments for Kids
- Are You Eating Enough Vegetables a Day?
- Encryption Technology for Your Privacy
- Get to Know Sarcoidosis: A Complex, Misunderstood Disease
- What Is Million?
- Sugar Gliders, Pangolins & Foxes, Oh My! New Novel...
- Mom Knows Best: Even When Buying a Mother's Day Gift
- What the H? Rhum Finally Arrives to the Cocktail Party
- Study Finds Boomers Are Sinking Their Teeth Into Looking...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- American Cancer Society and CVS Health Launch Bold Initiative to Help
- Course Hero Launches New Android App to Help Students Study Anywhere
- Ready for summer? Your next move can save you money, on self storage.
- GSK to Host "Rowing & Cycling Challenge" on World Meningitis Day
- Read the groundbreaking new book from Jeff Selingo, THERE IS LIFE AFTER COLLEGE