Googles privacy changes benefit users and businesses
The policy strives for simplicityin both length and language,and it unifies nearly all ofGoogle's services, products andwebsites. The notable changes inthe policy focus on the mergesand the ways this will affect advertising and the overallprivacy of Google's users.
Despite these baselessconcerns, Google's vice president,Alan Eustace, told NPR thatcollecting data from multipleGoogle services will give users innovative experiences. For example, by combining information gathered from the calendarfeature and data from map and traffic applications, Google can determine what time a user can leave their house so they can arrive at a scheduled meeting in San Francisco without worrying about road congestion.
new policy pledges to request consent for further changes. If users are still not convinced that the changes are harmless, there are options.
At the very least, Google isgiving users enough time to adjust should they decide to close Gmail or YouTube accounts. Ultimately, privacy groups can reprimand these policy changes, but fewpeople seem to care about how their data is used, as shown by thepopularity of Facebook.
There is no doubt that Google is prevalent and this privacypolicy change reflects a changing Internet culture. The Internet and all the technological devices that access it can be easily valued as a human right. In fact, last June the United Nations published a reportdeclaring Internet access afundamental human right.
Viewing the Internet in this sense allows us to easily forget that there are real companies seeking revenue that can justifygiving advertisers user data because this business model has gone relatively unchallenged.
Amanda Butler is a juniormajoring in sociology and women's studies.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Protecting Seniors Online from Scams, Hacks and Tax Fraud
- Rehydrating for Optimal Health
- Five Reasons You Need Cell Phone Insurance Now
- The One Super Bowl Fact You Still May Not Know
- Companies Are Discovering That Pittsburgh Is Good for...
- Millennials Go House Hunting, and Here's What They Crave
- Estate Plans: You're Not Doing Anyone a Favor by Avoiding...
- What Would You Have to Give Up to Pay for An Unexpected...
- Four Tips to Keep Your Kids' Teeth Healthy And Clean
- Local Community Newspapers Go Digital
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- N. American Effie Awards Announces 2017 Collegiate Effie Competition
- Students Increasingly Turn To GoFundMe To Pay For College
- O2 BARS: LATEST RAGE AT COLLEGE DE-STRESS, SOCIAL, & WELLNESS EVENTS
- Deadline Approaching for Phi Kappa Phi Study Abroad Grants
- ESA Foundation launches 2017-18 Scholarship Program