Notre Dame exits Big East
A fifth member of the Big East has bolted to another conference.
Notre Dame, a school notorious for its determination to remain independent in football, has announced that it will leave the Big East for the Atlantic Coast Conference in all sports except football.
The move, which is not likely to take place until the 2014 season, is historic in that the ACC allowed an exception to their all or nothing rule, which prevented schools from joining the conference for only certain sports.
However, Notre Dame will play five ACC games each football season.
This is truly a historic moment for the Atlantic Coast Conference, ACC
commissioner John Swofford said in a press conference Wednesday morning.
Notre Dame is one of five teams to depart the conference, along with Pittsburgh, Syracuse, West Virginia and Texas Christian University to leave the Big East. They will join Pittsburgh and Syracuse as ACC additions while West Virginia and TCU left for the Big 12.
This is a resilient conference, newly named Big East commisioner Mike Aresco told Associated Press, We lose Notre Dame in basketball, but we remain top to bottom the strongest basketball conference in the country.
Woolard gets contract extension In the midst of a growing athletic department, USF athletic director Doug Woolard has signed a three-year
contract extension with the university.
The extension, which lasts until 2015, will make Woolards base salary $559,250.13 per year. The offer letter presented by USF President Judy Genshaft also includes incentives for the performances of the schools various teams. Woolards bonuses will match the bonuses of each teams coach based on their success.
Since joining the university in 2004, Woolard has hired baseball coach Lelo Prado, mens basketball coach Stan Heath, football coach Skip Holtz, volleyball coach Courtney Draper and mens tennis coach Matt Hill.
Woolard has also helped build the new practice facilities for basketball and football, and new stadiums for soccer, baseball and softball, along with the renovations of the USF Sun Dome.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Campus dining caters to vegans
- Lecture shines light on human trafficking
- Three-star recruit flips from Utah to USF
- Weber continues high school success with Bulls
- Death penalty should at least be painless if still around
- Fallen Bulls remembered by loved ones at memorial service
- USF given $5M to plan downtown med school
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Give Your Kitchen a New Look With a Lighting Update
- Garden Project Spreads Its Roots in Urban Areas
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
- How to Be More Productive During Your Business Flights
- It's Never too Late to Start Living Healthy
- Revive tus objetivos de verte saludable en 2015
- Debunking Common Tax-Filing Myths
- With Help From Chile, Blueberries Stay Fresh All Winter
- Small Fixtures Make a Big Design Impact
- Keeping the Workplace in Proper Alignment
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- ASCO Numatics Announces 2015 Industrial Automation Engineering Scholarships
- Coffee Club Goes Viral With Members Earning Free Starbucks Cards
- UniversitySpot.com Introduces Extensive, Curated List of Free Online Courses for Winter 2015
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World