Notebook: Woolard defends Holtz
USF Athletics Director Doug Woolard released a statement defending the extension given to football coach Skip Holtz after a 5-7 season in 2011.
Certainly, the results, in terms of wins and losses to date, are disappointing to everyone involved with out program, he said in the statement. Our expectations for this program are very high.
Woolard continued in the statement with a defense of the recent five-year contract extension for Holtz, despite the team missing a bowl game for the first time in seven seasons.
We felt it was important to maintain the stability and continuity of leadership in our football program and extended Skips contract, he said. As has been our practice in the past, we will evaluate the status of each of our 19 programs at the conclusion of their respective seasons. Well identify where we are as a football program at that time and continue to build from there.
USFs recent performance has raised a large amount of anti-Holtz sentiment in the USF fan base. A Facebook page titled Official Fire Skip Holtz has accrued 681 likes, among other movements. Holtzs
contract is extended through 2017, and a buyout of the contract could cost the university up to $2.5 million.
Womens soccer players honored for weekend
A 2-0 weekend for the USF womens soccer team with wins over Connecticut and Providence earned two members of the team recognition.
Freshman Christiane Endler was named the Big East goalkeeper of the week after back-to-back shutouts in a pair of 1-0 wins.
Senior Taylor Patterson was named the Big East defensive player of the week, as she played all 180 minutes in the two wins.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Author Yaa Gyasi shares her method of writing
- St. Pete Police looking for men alleged to have punched USF student
- USF hosts third annual Sports and Entertainment Analytics Conference
- USF baseball’s streak falls one short of record
- ‘Challenge of the perception’
- Local pub crawl mixes business and pleasure
- City needs to rethink answer to helping homeless
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Veteran Raises Capital Via Alternative Financing
- Stop Pests This Spring With These Safe, Simple Steps
- Have a Blast This Spring Break With These Must-Have...
- Seniors Find That Doing Good Is Good For You
- University Students Take Top Honors at CME Group's Annual...
- Telecom and Cloud Service Options Expand in Africa
- Depression Sufferers Find Hope With New Sound Technology
- Going With Your Gut -- Virtual Colonoscopy Simplifies...
- Entrepreneurs Provide TIPS! Monthly Yield Now Makes Sense
- Amid Opioid Abuse Crisis, Back Pain Sufferers Look to...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Applications Available for Phi Kappa Phi Student Leadership Summit
- GREEN AMERICA: ONE MILLION TREES COULD BE SAVED EACH YEAR IF UNIVERSITIES SWITCHED TO ONLY RECYCLED PAPER FOR ALUMNI MAGAZINES
- Deadline Approaching for the Phi Kappa Phi Fellowship Program
- Entries Are Open for 9th Annual SVG/NACDA College Sports Media Awards
- Investor Bitcoin Investment Plans Guarantee Zero Losses