Notebook: Woolard defends Holtz
USF Athletics Director Doug Woolard released a statement defending the extension given to football coach Skip Holtz after a 5-7 season in 2011.
Certainly, the results, in terms of wins and losses to date, are disappointing to everyone involved with out program, he said in the statement. Our expectations for this program are very high.
Woolard continued in the statement with a defense of the recent five-year contract extension for Holtz, despite the team missing a bowl game for the first time in seven seasons.
We felt it was important to maintain the stability and continuity of leadership in our football program and extended Skips contract, he said. As has been our practice in the past, we will evaluate the status of each of our 19 programs at the conclusion of their respective seasons. Well identify where we are as a football program at that time and continue to build from there.
USFs recent performance has raised a large amount of anti-Holtz sentiment in the USF fan base. A Facebook page titled Official Fire Skip Holtz has accrued 681 likes, among other movements. Holtzs
contract is extended through 2017, and a buyout of the contract could cost the university up to $2.5 million.
Womens soccer players honored for weekend
A 2-0 weekend for the USF womens soccer team with wins over Connecticut and Providence earned two members of the team recognition.
Freshman Christiane Endler was named the Big East goalkeeper of the week after back-to-back shutouts in a pair of 1-0 wins.
Senior Taylor Patterson was named the Big East defensive player of the week, as she played all 180 minutes in the two wins.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- AAC Player of the Year removed from USF softball
- Ethics committee opens investigation of SG president
- Student bands get chance for the big stage
- First all-ticket presidential debate brings calls for change
- The threat of empty promises
- Bulls enter critical final stretch
- Tampa design firm urges city to play
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Protecting Seniors Online from Scams, Hacks and Tax Fraud
- Rehydrating for Optimal Health
- Five Reasons You Need Cell Phone Insurance Now
- The One Super Bowl Fact You Still May Not Know
- Companies Are Discovering That Pittsburgh Is Good for...
- Millennials Go House Hunting, and Here's What They Crave
- Estate Plans: You're Not Doing Anyone a Favor by Avoiding...
- What Would You Have to Give Up to Pay for An Unexpected...
- Four Tips to Keep Your Kids' Teeth Healthy And Clean
- Local Community Newspapers Go Digital
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- N. American Effie Awards Announces 2017 Collegiate Effie Competition
- Students Increasingly Turn To GoFundMe To Pay For College
- O2 BARS: LATEST RAGE AT COLLEGE DE-STRESS, SOCIAL, & WELLNESS EVENTS
- Deadline Approaching for Phi Kappa Phi Study Abroad Grants
- ESA Foundation launches 2017-18 Scholarship Program