Notebook: Woolard defends Holtz

By Rames Ali, SPORTS EDITOR
On October 9, 2012

USF Athletics Director Doug Woolard released a statement defending the extension given to football coach Skip Holtz after a 5-7 season in 2011.

Certainly, the results, in terms of wins and losses to date, are disappointing to everyone involved with out program, he said in the statement. Our expectations for this program are very high.

Woolard continued in the statement with a defense of the recent five-year contract extension for Holtz, despite the team missing a bowl game for the first time in seven seasons.

We felt it was important to maintain the stability and continuity of leadership in our football program and extended Skips contract, he said. As has been our practice in the past, we will evaluate the status of each of our 19 programs at the conclusion of their respective seasons. Well identify where we are as a football program at that time and continue to build from there.

USFs recent performance has raised a large amount of anti-Holtz sentiment in the USF fan base. A Facebook page titled Official Fire Skip Holtz has accrued 681 likes, among other movements. Holtzs
contract is extended through 2017, and a buyout of the contract could cost the university up to $2.5 million.

Womens soccer players honored for weekend
A 2-0 weekend for the USF womens soccer team with wins over Connecticut and Providence earned two members of the team recognition.

Freshman Christiane Endler was named the Big East goalkeeper of the week after back-to-back shutouts in a pair of 1-0 wins.

Senior Taylor Patterson was named the Big East defensive player of the week, as she played all 180 minutes in the two wins.