Lakeland petition meeting produces no changes
After meeting with university officials to discuss creating a separate commencement ceremony for students at Lakeland, students who petitioned for a separate ceremony said no decision was reached.
Sarah Choate, a senior majoring in elementary education and creator of the petition, which had 369 signatures as of Monday evening, along with 15 members of the Lakeland Celebration Club, met with Student Government President Brian Goff and Kathleen Moore, vice president for system initiative on Wednesday afternoon to discuss the petition.
Though Choate said no official decision had been reached at Wednesdays meeting, at last weeks Student Government Senate meeting Goff said an unofficial decision had been.
The university has already kind of ruled on this, Goff said. As far as my understanding, they wont be having graduation out there, but they will be having a ceremony and reception and all that for the families of the students out there. If they want to walk, they will still have to come to the Sun Dome.
Goff said the USF Tampa Student Government does not have a role in the commencement ceremony arrangements of other campuses.
The USF administration is very pro-system and values unity and what it means to be a Bull, Goff said after the meeting. We understand their needs and desires to have their own graduation.
Choate said an option discussed at the meeting was a reception or celebration held at the Lakeland campus for its graduates, in conjunction with the main campus commencement ceremony in Tampa.
Goff said that a reception or similar ceremony after commencement could happen as early as this semester if administrators and students come together about the issue.
The goal is for the graduates of 2013 to have the best experience possible at graduation, Goff said.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Quinton Flowers wins AAC Offensive Player of the Year
- BOT formally approves Genshaft bonus
- Top 10 moments of the fall semester
- Netflix: No Wi-Fi needed
- USF Health Services sees spike in clients as exams near
- USF System President Genshaft up for performance-based stipend
- USF students reflect on fall semester
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Got Tech Neck? Here's Some Advice.
- Three Simple Swaps for a Healthier Lunch
- Epilepsy Awareness Day 2016 Largest Turnout Ever
- Give the Gift of Connectivity, Without the Stress
- New Cancer Treatment Continues to Progress By Filing for...
- How Many Years Does it Take to Become a Doctor of...
- Many Working Mothers Can't Afford Their Health Insurance...
- A Date with Destiny: Video Games Teach Kids Life Lessons
- The Magic Number for Millennials: $51,000
- A New Read on Literacy: The 3 Keys to Building Lifelong...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- PEPSICO AND 21ST CENTURY FOX ANNOUNCE "THE SEARCH FOR HIDDEN FIGURES"
- The Most Popular Entry-Level Jobs and Companies for College Graduates
- National Meningitis Association Urges Students to take Pledge2Prevent
- American Cancer Society and CVS Health Foundation Award Grants to Help 20 Colleges and Universities Go Tobacco-Free in Largest Initiative of Its Kind
- BPU Offers Sentiment Analysis Free to Universities