Lakeland petition meeting produces no changes
After meeting with university officials to discuss creating a separate commencement ceremony for students at Lakeland, students who petitioned for a separate ceremony said no decision was reached.
Sarah Choate, a senior majoring in elementary education and creator of the petition, which had 369 signatures as of Monday evening, along with 15 members of the Lakeland Celebration Club, met with Student Government President Brian Goff and Kathleen Moore, vice president for system initiative on Wednesday afternoon to discuss the petition.
Though Choate said no official decision had been reached at Wednesdays meeting, at last weeks Student Government Senate meeting Goff said an unofficial decision had been.
The university has already kind of ruled on this, Goff said. As far as my understanding, they wont be having graduation out there, but they will be having a ceremony and reception and all that for the families of the students out there. If they want to walk, they will still have to come to the Sun Dome.
Goff said the USF Tampa Student Government does not have a role in the commencement ceremony arrangements of other campuses.
The USF administration is very pro-system and values unity and what it means to be a Bull, Goff said after the meeting. We understand their needs and desires to have their own graduation.
Choate said an option discussed at the meeting was a reception or celebration held at the Lakeland campus for its graduates, in conjunction with the main campus commencement ceremony in Tampa.
Goff said that a reception or similar ceremony after commencement could happen as early as this semester if administrators and students come together about the issue.
The goal is for the graduates of 2013 to have the best experience possible at graduation, Goff said.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Cosplayers to suit up for Tampa Bay Comic Con
- Search continues for graves at Dozier
- USF Athletics: What you might have missed this summer
- Pujol represents Bulls in FIBA World Cup
- The health consequences of a night with Netflix
- Colleges should worry about losing funding over Title IX violations
- Renovations revitalize USF Bookstore
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Erase Strokes From Your Golf Game -- No Pencil Required
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?