In-state tuition bill for veterans passes House
A bill that would allow student veterans to qualify for in-state tuition rates — a rate that at the undergraduate level would be three times less than the out-of-state tuition rate — unanimously passed the Florida House of Representatives on Tuesday and will now move to the Senate.
HB 7015, called the “Congressman C. W. Bill Young Veteran Tuition Waiver Program” after the late Congressman who was a longtime advocate of veterans’ services, will require that all Florida state universities and colleges waive out-of-state fees for any “honorably discharged veteran of the Armed Forces of the United States, including the National Guard and reserve components” for up to 110 percent of required credit hours.
Florida is home to about 1.5 million veterans, according to a Miami NBC-affiliate, and the bill is anticipated to cost the state about $12 million.
If approved by the Senate, the bill would take effect
“This is an important step in ensuring the future success of the men and women who have served our country so well and so richly deserve our gratitude and support,” USF President Judy Genshaft said in a statement Tuesday. “In passing this legislation, Florida will make higher education more accessible to these highly-skilled men and women and allow them to achieve their degrees in a more affordable and timely manner.
The USF System is a richer learning environment for all students, including more than 1,700 veterans. “We know our student veterans have a bright and successful future ahead of them, and we are proud to continue to play a part in helping them reach their goals,” Genshaft said.
— Staff report
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wellness Travel Is on the Rise
- 3 Steps to Build a Better Nest Egg
- Para los latinos, el Día de las Madres es una...
- Top 4 Signs You Need to Call a Pest Professional
- Another Reason to Choose Chiropractic Care First for Pain...
- Create a Precious Moment for Mom This Mother's Day
- 4 Basic Exercises to Help Older Adults Improve Strength...
- New Drug May Help Control the Spread of Cancer
- Uber to Passengers: Our Drivers May Be Unsafe
- Thermal Imaging Camera Helps Find Hidden Damage in Your Home
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- TD Ameritrade Seeks Applicants for NextGen Financial Planning Scholarships, Grants
- Make it Count: Get the Most out of the End of the Semester!
- FARE's College Food Allergy Program Pilots in a Dozen Schools Nationwide
- HOTSHOT® HOT Canned Coffee gets a Jolt from Kickstarter
- From dating to internships - it's everything you need to know about college: The Her Campus Guide to College Life, Out Now