Midseason All-AAC Team features seven Bulls

On October 22, 2013

Last Friday marked the release of Phil Steele’s 2013 Midseason All-AAC Team and seven Bulls made the cut for Steele’s second and third team.

Running back Marcus Shaw and middle linebacker DeDe Lattimore, both seniors, made the second team along with redshirt juniors kicker Marvin Kloss and offensive lineman Quinterrius Eatmon.

The third team features redshirt senior wide receiver Derrick Hopkins, senior safety Mark Joyce and redshirt sophomore Kenneth Durden as both a kick returner and cornerback.

Shaw, who went down with a hamstring injury in Week 5 against Cincinnati, ranks No. 49 in the NCAA with 552 rushing yards on 86 carries (6.4 yards per carry).

With Eatmon helping to pave the way for Shaw to reach three 100-yard games this season, the running back was seen as the most “consistent” factor USF had leading up to its first win against the Bearcats.

Hopkins has also been helping the offense with 348 all-purpose yards.

On the other side of the ball stands the lone senior middle linebacker in Lattimore, who’s number has been seen all over the field leading the Bulls and ranking fourth in the AAC in tackles with 56.

The first-year father is paced to have a career season with an interception, two forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries and one recovery for a touchdown. The last time Lattimore had an interception, fumble or fumble recovery was in the 2011 season.

Right behind Lattimore on the team is Joyce with 34 total tackles.

Coming into the season with only one interception in his career in 2010, the senior managed to snag two picks against Cincinnati on Oct. 5 — the first Bulls player since 2009 to have two picks in a game.

With 18 tackles and a pass breakup is Durden, who after being redshirted in 2011, started in just one game last season where he totaled 10 tackles with a pass breakup.

With Shaw out, Kloss could very well be the most consistent member on the Bulls’ depth chart.

The kicker has made 9-of-10 field goals this season while going 6-of-7 from 40 yards or beyond. Kloss also made the AAC Weekly Honor Roll on Monday after a 13-10 win over UConn Oct. 12.

USF (2-4, 2-0) takes on No. 20 Louisville (6-1, 2-1) as the Bulls look to extend their win streak to three while going undefeated in the conference this Saturday for Homecoming.

— Staff report