Letters to the Editor 9-12-2011
In response to Lee Roy Selmon's passing:
Most people saw Lee Roy Selmon as an iconic football player and a Tampa Bay star. For others, he was a friend, a colleague, a husband, a father, a grandfather, an uncle, a brother, a son and a role model. Just last Tuesday, my co-workers and I were trying to convince Lee Roy to get a Twitter.
We all work in Athletics and saw him regularly. We told him not to hesitate because he would instantly have many followers, but he surprisingly remained humble and said he would just have to pray about it.
Lee Roy was definitely a role model for me. Because of his wonderful influence, my personal faith is stronger. I feel fortunate to have been able to work alongside him. During the summer, Lee Roy would always ask me how my classes were going, and though I replied timidly, he'd say, "Oh, you will do great! You'll be fine!" Coming from someone who had so many other obligations and better things to do, I was grateful that he extended the effort to encourage me. Perhaps he was just being friendly, but he gave me the confidence to continue pursuing my studies.
Now I fully understand how much of a blessing it was to have had the connection with Lee Roy that I did because many people were not as fortunate to meet him in person. If they were able to meet him, I'm sure they would have seen him as the nicest man that ever lived. The last time I saw him was last Wednesday, and if I could rewind time, I'd remember to say a few more words to him, like "See ya on Tuesday!" or "Enjoy your weekend!"
Although coming into work on Tuesday was difficult, knowing that Lee Roy was not going to be there, I know there will be many more treasurable days to come as long as I think of Lee Roy as someone who is still alive. Lee Roy practiced what he preached and he faithfully walked the road with God. For all of those who are grieving, I want to remind you that he is not truly gone, but still alive in spirit. And lastly, I want to thank Lee Roy Selmon for making a positive difference in my life, and I want to thank his family for being with him.
Jessica McKay is a sophomore majoring in nursing.
In response to ducklings on campus:
I am writing in regards to a matter on campus that is a sad and serious issue. The water system pipes in the ponds around campus are becoming death traps for young ducklings.
A simple solution would be to cover these pipe openings with wire screens. It is inexpensive, not labor-intensive and will save these ducklings' lives!
I love sitting by the ponds watching and feeding all of the ducks, as I know others do. I urge USF officials to take action immediately and fix this problem so that no more ducklings have to die!
Trista Brophy is a senior majoring in environmental science and policy.
There are baby ducks dying everyday on campus; help save their lives! There are baby ducks falling in storm drains and dying. The University has been made aware, but is refusing to take any action.
I urge all students to pressure the school officials to cover the drains with mesh so that the baby ducks do not fall in. You can find more information on the Facebook page, "Save the USF Baby Ducks."
Edgar Wong is an alumnus who majored in engineering.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- ‘Jurassic World’ brings dino excitement back to life
- Haitian students to lead discussion on Caribbean migration crisis
- Schools share strategies for student success
- SCOTUS ruling not a personal attack against conservatives
- Woulard announces transfer to USF
- Antigua fills void with Penn State transfer
- Taggart adds offensive line depth
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Pointers for Packing the Perfect Summer Picnic
- Natural Snacks Make Nutritious Meals
- How American-Made Products Benefit Many
- Los Hispanos Celebran El Verano Con Diversión,...
- Minimizing the Mess: How to Keep a Clean Home With Kids
- Millennials Help Boost the Popularity of ETFs
- How to Handle the Potential Pitfalls of Dating
- Smart Homes Save Time and Money
- Simple Steps to Safeguard Your Second Home
- Smart Ways to Save on Home Insurance
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- vitaminwater® Announces Project Hustle Finalists
- Supermodel Jaslene Gonzalez to Speak at Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority 25th Anniversary Sisterhood Retreat
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS
- NEW WEBSITE FEATURES COLLEGE PROFESSORS EXCLUSIVELY AS ONLINE TUTORS
- Dickinson College and Jadu Reinvent Website and Portal with 'Single Experience Student Platform'