Letter to the Editor: Trustee criticizes USF football
I read Board of Trustees (BOT) Chairman John Ramils response last week to the latest football loss and came away surprised. Surprised because football losses are considered disgusting and unacceptable. We are all frustrated by the outcome of this season so far, but is this the biggest issue facing USF?
You know what is disgusting and unacceptable? The fact that there have been two reported rapes on campus this year, the fact that tuition has seen double-digit increases for the last several years, the fact that only 52 percent of USF students graduate in six years, the fact that private concerts at the Sun Dome take priority over student and faculty parking, and I could go on.
USF has progressed tremendously in the last several years, and the BOT is to be commended for that. But if we saw the same kind of passion and strong disappointment expressed by the BOT members toward USFs other shortfalls, there would be a much stronger push to improve this university and we would be much better off football and otherwise.
Toby Thomson is a senior majoring in biology.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Bulls edge UConn in conference opener
- Students warned not to sign up for GetStudyRoom.com
- Despite losing record, Bulls sets sights on conference title
- Z Baked provides warm cookies on demand
- Addicted to Apple: a dire diagnosis for millennials
- USF partners with World Health Organization
- Speaker sees astronomy through historical lens
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses