Letter to the Editor: Religious fanatics on campus
Today a religious fanatic was proselytizing over a loudspeaker at the Marshall Student Center that could clearly be heard from the Psychology-Communication Sciences & Disorders building to the Business Administration building and beyond.
After making such ludicrous claims like paraphrasing God cured me of all kinds of STDs, and alleging that our individual success is due to some deity, I must protest.
Allowing zealots like that access and use of our resources is effectively anendorsement an endorsement thatsaddens me greatly. Our public university has no place harboring or even humoring this type of delusional behavior. I shudder to think what any visitors or new students may think.
On the outskirts of the university grounds were teaching mathematics, engineering and biology, while the central hub blares a message about the supernatural cure to STDs, depression and homosexuality.
Those responsible went so far as to attempt healings and were allegedly speaking in tongues. Allowing thecontinued use of university property and resources to spout a religious message with no basis in reality or scientific fact stands in conflict with everything public higher education stands for. Any rational person would tell you prayer healings and speaking in tongues are obvious works of fiction.
Next time, lets just have Hamletbroadcast across campus instead of this garbage.
Patrick Sebesta is a graduate studentstudying management information systems.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Antigua adds Gonzaga transfer
- Charpie’s dream becoming a reality
- Chase away the boredom with these Netflix titles
- EDITORIAL: Bike ticketing in Tampa used for racial profiling, not safety
- How students become university trustees
- New funds considered for campus police
- SG court hears why election ‘should never have happened’
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Natural Health Care From Down Under Poised to Make U.S....
- Wellness Travel Is on the Rise
- 3 Steps to Build a Better Nest Egg
- Para los latinos, el Día de las Madres es una...
- Top 4 Signs You Need to Call a Pest Professional
- Another Reason to Choose Chiropractic Care First for Pain...
- Create a Precious Moment for Mom This Mother's Day
- 4 Basic Exercises to Help Older Adults Improve Strength...
- New Drug May Help Control the Spread of Cancer
- Uber to Passengers: Our Drivers May Be Unsafe
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- TD Ameritrade Seeks Applicants for NextGen Financial Planning Scholarships, Grants
- Make it Count: Get the Most out of the End of the Semester!
- FARE's College Food Allergy Program Pilots in a Dozen Schools Nationwide
- HOTSHOT® HOT Canned Coffee gets a Jolt from Kickstarter
- From dating to internships - it's everything you need to know about college: The Her Campus Guide to College Life, Out Now