Letter to the Editor: Religious fanatics on campus
Today a religious fanatic was proselytizing over a loudspeaker at the Marshall Student Center that could clearly be heard from the Psychology-Communication Sciences & Disorders building to the Business Administration building and beyond.
After making such ludicrous claims like paraphrasing God cured me of all kinds of STDs, and alleging that our individual success is due to some deity, I must protest.
Allowing zealots like that access and use of our resources is effectively anendorsement an endorsement thatsaddens me greatly. Our public university has no place harboring or even humoring this type of delusional behavior. I shudder to think what any visitors or new students may think.
On the outskirts of the university grounds were teaching mathematics, engineering and biology, while the central hub blares a message about the supernatural cure to STDs, depression and homosexuality.
Those responsible went so far as to attempt healings and were allegedly speaking in tongues. Allowing thecontinued use of university property and resources to spout a religious message with no basis in reality or scientific fact stands in conflict with everything public higher education stands for. Any rational person would tell you prayer healings and speaking in tongues are obvious works of fiction.
Next time, lets just have Hamletbroadcast across campus instead of this garbage.
Patrick Sebesta is a graduate studentstudying management information systems.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- The Magic Number for Millennials: $51,000
- How to Overcome Your Smile Insecurities
- Bringing the Family Together At the Dinner Table
- Good Dental Care: Make It Safe
- Gran promesa latina lanza línea de moda para el...
- Cystic Fibrosis Breakthrough for Patients With Fungal...
- Millennials and Health Care
- Is Your Christmas Tree Up to the Task?
- Save Time and Money With a Mail-Order Pharmacy
- How to Store Your Warm Weather Gear for Winter Hibernation
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- CONFERENCE USA COLLEGE WOMEN'S VOLLEYBALL AND MEN'S SOCCER COVERAGE ONLY ON beIN SPORTS
- Exclusive campus app bans professors and launches into 30 campuses!
- COLLEGE FOOTBALL CONTINUES THIS WEEKEND WITH FLORIDA ATLANTIC AT FIU - only on beIN SPORTS
- beIN SPORTS ANNOUNCES 2016-17 CONFERENCE USA MEN'S BASKETBALL SCHEDULE
- GoFundMe to Award $100,000 in College Scholarships