Letter to the Editor: Justin Long's visit to USF
It is great to see role models for Americas youth addressing important issues like the rising costs of
education, the War on Drugs and illegal immigration. These are all important issues in our election but I, along with thousands of youth across the country, think there is one important thing that both the Barack Obama and Mitt Romney campaigns have failed to address time and time again, and that is the issue of climate change and clean energy in America.
Florida youth and climate leaders across the country are running the Power Vote campaign this election year to make sure young people get out to the polls and vote with clean energy as a top priority.
We are calling on our politicians to stand up to dirty energy and present platforms with clean energy futures in mind. These do not include false solutions such as coal, natural gas and nuclear energy. Energy independence means clean and renewable energy from sources like solar and wind that focus on sustainability and long-term solutions. These issues are connected to and as important as issues regarding health care, the economy and education.
This election year, citizens are concerned about our planets future and our politicians should be as well.
What will Obama and Romney administrations do to move beyond fossil fuels and address our generations greatest challenge the climate crisis?
Shaza Hussein is a senior majoring in environmental policy and chemistry.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Author Yaa Gyasi shares her method of writing
- St. Pete Police looking for men alleged to have punched USF student
- USF hosts third annual Sports and Entertainment Analytics Conference
- USF baseball’s streak falls one short of record
- ‘Challenge of the perception’
- Local pub crawl mixes business and pleasure
- City needs to rethink answer to helping homeless
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Veteran Raises Capital Via Alternative Financing
- Stop Pests This Spring With These Safe, Simple Steps
- Have a Blast This Spring Break With These Must-Have...
- Seniors Find That Doing Good Is Good For You
- University Students Take Top Honors at CME Group's Annual...
- Telecom and Cloud Service Options Expand in Africa
- Depression Sufferers Find Hope With New Sound Technology
- Going With Your Gut -- Virtual Colonoscopy Simplifies...
- Entrepreneurs Provide TIPS! Monthly Yield Now Makes Sense
- Amid Opioid Abuse Crisis, Back Pain Sufferers Look to...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- GREEN AMERICA: ONE MILLION TREES COULD BE SAVED EACH YEAR IF UNIVERSITIES SWITCHED TO ONLY RECYCLED PAPER FOR ALUMNI MAGAZINES
- Deadline Approaching for the Phi Kappa Phi Fellowship Program
- Entries Are Open for 9th Annual SVG/NACDA College Sports Media Awards
- Investor Bitcoin Investment Plans Guarantee Zero Losses
- New App Promises to Revolutionize the Way We Experience Video