Late run helps Bulls move to 7-0
Rivalry was renewed as the USF womens basketball team took on the Florida Gulf Coast Eagles on Wednesday night.
With help from senior guard Andrell Smith and junior guard Inga Orekhova, the Bulls defeated the Eagles 67-46 to move to 7-0 for the first time since the 2006-07 season.
Smith led the way with 19 points, shooting 46 percent from the floor, along with two assists. Orkekhova helped with 15 points, shooting four of five attempted three-pointers.
Smith said she credits her teammates for her performance.
I feel like my teammates helped me get 19 points, Smith said. It was a collective 19 points. I couldnt done it without Tahira Johnsons rebounds and getting me good passes. Without them, I couldnt have those 19 points.
In the first half, both teams played tightly, with each team leading by no higher than six points. USFs defense forced 13 turnovers and held the Eagles to 33 percent shooting from the floor where the Bulls shot 44 percent in the half.
The game remained tight until Orekhova hit a three-pointer with 6:23 remaining in the game to put the Bulls up seven that sparked a 14-0 run to end the game.
Coach Jose Fernandez said he was proud of the victory.
I thought this was a very good win for our group, Fernandez said. We knew were going to have a very good basketball game. We made it a priority to go to the glass, get some second shots. It was that run with about seven or eight minutes we strung stops together, inverted on the other end we were able to pull away.
The Bulls defense held the Eagles to 26 percent shooting from the floor and forced 19 turnovers and grabbed 10 steals.
We talked about playing teams defense and keeping guys in front of us. I thought they did that, Fernandez said. Its a credit to them.
USF is back on the road this weekend as they travel to take on Jacksonville University on Saturday.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Every Room Tells a Story if You Set the Stage
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership
- PAOLO NUTINI CELEBRATES U.S. RELEASE OF “CAUSTIC LOVE”