Late foul trouble causes USF loss on road
The womensbasketball team (12-5, 1-3) losta crucial road game at Villanova(15-2, 4-0), 52-49, on Saturday afternoon, its third Big East conference loss of the season and first loss to Villanova since joining the Big East in 2005.
After trailing 7-0 in thebeginning minutes of the first half, the Bulls battled tocapture a 23-22 lead byhalftime. The 637 spectators at The Pavilion boarded an emotional roller coasterhighlighted by six ties and one lead change.
With three-tenths of asecond left and the gameknotted at 49, Villanova junior guard Devon Kane launched a desperate three-pointer and was fouled by USF senior guard Sasha Bernard, who contested the shot. Kane was sent to the line and drilled all three free throws.
USF junior guard Inga Orekhova threw a Hail Mary on the following possession, but to no avail.
Its a game we should have won, coach Jose Fernandez said.
Senior guard Andrell Smith led the Bulls in scoring with 20 points, but fouled out at the 5:18 mark, forcing the team to try to overcome the tough task of closing the game without one of its best players.
Smith has fouled out in three of USFs four Big East conference games this season; the Bulls lost in all three affairs.
Fernandez said he believes it is important to keep a player of Smiths caliber out of foul trouble.
She is one of our best defensive players on the court, he said. She has to play better with her feet and less with her hands.
Villanova senior forward Laura Sweeney bolstered the Wildcats offense by posting a double-double; she scored 16 points and had 11 rebounds to boot.
USF suffered a tough loss, but Fernandez holds an optimistic outlook on what is to come.
We have to move forward to get the next game, he said.
USF (12-5, 1-3) will play Seton Hall (7-11, 2-3) in another road game at 7 p.m on Tuesday.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Trump rally inspires supporters, draws record crowd to Sun Dome
- Letter to the Editor: From the voices of the USF Community: We do welcome...
- Table for two: Valentine’s Day ideas for everyone
- Letter To The Editor: From voices of the USF community: We do not welcome...
- USF staff loses Hope, potentially adds former Buccaneer
- Florida Legislature kills LGBT discrimination ban
- USF partners with Brazilian university
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- The ABCs of ACA -- Advice for Business Owners in 2016
- Hope for Sufferers of Myofascial Pain?
- A Delicious and Warm Pear Salad for Winter
- Major Maryland Piano Store to Close Its Doors
- A Better Valentine's Day Gift for Couples?
- Crowdfunding's Latest Effort: Preventing Youth Sports...
- El Regalo Ideal Para Cualquier Etapa De Tu Relación
- Seeing a Chiropractor First Can Save You Money
- Flu Season Has Arrived: Helpful Tips to Prevent the...
- 2016 Resolutions: Time for an Update?