Jimmy Herget misrepresented by 4-4 record
Statistics don’t capture the bang-bang plays, bad hops or the Baltimore chops, but pitchers’ stats are particularly irksome when it comes to accurate depictions in baseball.
Take USF ace Jimmy Herget. The 6-foot-3, 165-pound sophomore has a 1.14 ERA through 55 1/3 innings pitched. His 4-4 record is a complete understatement of his performances on the mound.
Herget has the second lowest ERA in the AAC, behind Houston reliever Tyler Ford, who has a .85 ERA through 31 2/3 innings. Herget’s 55 1/3 innings pitched ranks third most in the conference.
Though USF ranks fourth with 163 runs scored, Herget can’t seem to get any run support. In his four losses, the Bulls have scored just
Maybe the team depends on their Friday night guy a bit too much, but even when Herget’s not starting, USF hasn’t produced enough offense — especially when it counts.
The Bulls (18-14, 5-3 AAC) averaged 8.6 runners left on base over the last five games — four of which were losses.
“A lot of hits with nobody on base doesn’t count for me,” USF coach Lelo Prado said after the Bulls dropped Sunday’s rubber game to UCF, marking the first time they lost a three-game series this year.
The Bulls have struggled offensively, causing Prado to change the lineup. Since the game against Cincinnati on March 28, second baseman Nik Alfonso has batted in the bottom of the order in all but one game. He’s batting .320 since the change.
Prado also said he wanted to put a spark in the lineup by starting Lawrence Pardo on first base. The lefty is batting .286 and has a .265 ERA in 17 innings pitched. His
bragging rights have been granted now that his batting average is higher than his ERA.
The lineup changes seem to have been beneficial, but the Bulls are still batting just .262 collectively, which is sixth in the conference.
Pitchers have no control over their team’s bats, but Herget has pitched gems in a few of his losses. Most recently, Herget was one out shy of tossing a complete game against UCF last Friday.
He allowed two earned runs on five hits, walking two and striking out nine, and yet the Bulls were blanked 2-0 by their conference rival. The Bulls were also shutout by Columbia in February with Herget allowing just one earned run through seven innings.
Last year, the Big East Rookie of the Year finished 6-2.
The right-hander was second in the conference with a 1.72 ERA and a .193 opposing batting average, and third with 25 runs, 18 earned, allowed.
He even tossed a complete shutout in a 1-0 win over Pittsburgh.
Herget is perhaps one of the most underrated pitchers in college baseball, and his 4-4 record is not indicative of his dominance. It’s about as fair as a foul ball, but that’s baseball sometimes.
Herget and the Bulls head to Philadelphia to take on Temple in a three-game series, beginning Friday night at 7.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- AAC Player of the Year removed from USF softball
- Ethics committee opens investigation of SG president
- Student bands get chance for the big stage
- First all-ticket presidential debate brings calls for change
- The threat of empty promises
- Bulls enter critical final stretch
- Tampa design firm urges city to play
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Protecting Seniors Online from Scams, Hacks and Tax Fraud
- Rehydrating for Optimal Health
- Five Reasons You Need Cell Phone Insurance Now
- The One Super Bowl Fact You Still May Not Know
- Companies Are Discovering That Pittsburgh Is Good for...
- Millennials Go House Hunting, and Here's What They Crave
- Estate Plans: You're Not Doing Anyone a Favor by Avoiding...
- What Would You Have to Give Up to Pay for An Unexpected...
- Four Tips to Keep Your Kids' Teeth Healthy And Clean
- Local Community Newspapers Go Digital
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- N. American Effie Awards Announces 2017 Collegiate Effie Competition
- Students Increasingly Turn To GoFundMe To Pay For College
- O2 BARS: LATEST RAGE AT COLLEGE DE-STRESS, SOCIAL, & WELLNESS EVENTS
- Deadline Approaching for Phi Kappa Phi Study Abroad Grants
- ESA Foundation launches 2017-18 Scholarship Program