Israeli diplomacy is a failure
Israel's recent foreign relations are fraught with uncertainty.
Longtime ally Turkey has distanced itself from Israel ever since the Israeli Defense Force (IDF) stormed a Turkish ship during the Gaza flotilla incident in 2010. Neighboring Syria is rioting under a general crackdown, and on top of that, Egyptian citizens mobbed the Israeli embassy in Cairo last week. The ambassador was forced to flee to Israel, according to Reuters.
This most recent incident is another warning sign of future conflicts and anger. There remains a flame that persistently smolders from Israel's many unrestrained crackdowns on Palestinians. Unless Israel changes its self-defeating foreign and domestic policies, it invites future hostility to its people.
Israel's main security concern is the West Bank and the Gaza Strip of Palestine - the border between Gaza and Egypt - because it conceals hundreds of tunnels beneath the dirt and sand. According to NPR, smuggling at this border is not just common, it's a daily occurrence. According to Haaretz, an Israeli newspaper, Egypt has been destroying the tunnels and plans to construct an iron wall that extends 20 to 30 meters underground.
According to the Huffington Post, Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu has been rallying support for the recognition of Palestine as a state for an upcoming meeting among United Nations (U.N.) leaders Sept. 20 - recognition Israel refuses to give.
It is unlikely Palestine will be recognized as a state by the U.N., as the U.S. holds veto power and is an ally to Israel. This has been the case in previous attempts to recognize Palestinian statehood. The ‘Six Day War' in 1967 was started to liberate Palestine and get revenge against Israel's incursions into the West Bank. The IDF attacked the West Bank to strike suspected terrorists. The IDF launched air strikes into Palestine in the last decade with a similar regard for international opinion.
Davutoglu's comments have only further deteriorated relations between Israel and Turkey. Turkish news outlet Today's Zaman speculated Sunday about reports that Israel's Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman was considering negotiating with or arming the Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK), a known terrorist group. According to Haaretz, Davutoglu said during a press conference, "No one will be able to blackmail us. We hope Israel's denial (of supporting the PKK) will also be accompanied by actions."
Israel continues to stumble from one diplomatic faux paus to another. However, Israel is tolerated because its military prowess is superior to most of its neighbors, both in technology and training. Globalfirepower.com compares nations on respective military strength, and of Israel's neighbors, only Turkey was rated higher. Nonetheless, Israel possesses more aircraft than Turkey and has received $3 billion in U.S. aid annually since 1985, according to globalfirepower.com.
In light of the Arab Spring, the recent wave of revolutions across the Middle East, Palestinians appear more destitute than ever. They were left out of the Arab Spring, but they are no less deserving of political and economic freedoms. Israel will isolate itself diplomatically if it refuses to negotiate. As strong as the IDF is, Israel can still lose a war if it has no allies.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Winning streak extends to 19 with 7-3 win over UNF
- Mack, Adams run limited drills at USF's Pro Day
- Yaa Gyasi lecture rescheduled for tonight
- Walk Like MADD 5k a celebration of life
- Budget blueprint a dangerous negotiation
- USF football's offense going up-tempo under Strong
- CLCE to use simulation to teach students about refugee experiences
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Seniors Find That Doing Good Is Good For You
- University Students Take Top Honors at CME Group's Annual...
- Telecom and Cloud Service Options Expand in Africa
- Depression Sufferers Find Hope With New Sound Technology
- Going With Your Gut -- Virtual Colonoscopy Simplifies...
- Entrepreneurs Provide TIPS! Monthly Yield Now Makes Sense
- Amid Opioid Abuse Crisis, Back Pain Sufferers Look to...
- How an Ex-College Athlete Survived His Use of...
- Frustrated Seniors Are Often Served Meals They Dislike Or...
- Help Protect The Young Adult Lifestyle
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- GREEN AMERICA: ONE MILLION TREES COULD BE SAVED EACH YEAR IF UNIVERSITIES SWITCHED TO ONLY RECYCLED PAPER FOR ALUMNI MAGAZINES
- Deadline Approaching for the Phi Kappa Phi Fellowship Program
- Entries Are Open for 9th Annual SVG/NACDA College Sports Media Awards
- Investor Bitcoin Investment Plans Guarantee Zero Losses
- New App Promises to Revolutionize the Way We Experience Video