In topsy-turvy Big East, anybody can win
As USF prepares to return to the field at Rutgers on Saturday, coach Skip Holtz spoke Monday about the unpredictability of the Big East and a Rutgers team that is one win away from becoming bowl eligible.
Winning just four games last season, the Scarlet Knights' (5-3, 2-2) young roster was tabbed to finish last in the conference this year. However, that spot is held by USF (4-3, 0-3), which was picked to finish third and received first-place votes.
It's been that kind of year so far in the Big East, where No. 23 Cincinnati is the highest-ranked team in the Associated Press poll and the only team undefeated in the conference, despite being picked to finish fifth.
"When you look at the difference between winning and losing in almost every one of these conference games, it's one play," Holtz said. "I think the margin of victory in this league is extremely small … When you start talking about a conference game, all the way from first place to last place, almost anybody can win."
The Bulls are the only team in the conference that has yet to win a league game, but will face a Rutgers team that is coming off consecutive losses after opening the Big East season with a pair of wins.
"When you look at (Rutgers), especially on the defensive side of the ball … they're ranked in the top three in the league in … nine of the categories that we keep," Holtz said. "They have a very talented team."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- AAC Player of the Year removed from USF softball
- Ethics committee opens investigation of SG president
- Student bands get chance for the big stage
- First all-ticket presidential debate brings calls for change
- The threat of empty promises
- Bulls enter critical final stretch
- Tampa design firm urges city to play
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Protecting Seniors Online from Scams, Hacks and Tax Fraud
- Rehydrating for Optimal Health
- Five Reasons You Need Cell Phone Insurance Now
- The One Super Bowl Fact You Still May Not Know
- Companies Are Discovering That Pittsburgh Is Good for...
- Millennials Go House Hunting, and Here's What They Crave
- Estate Plans: You're Not Doing Anyone a Favor by Avoiding...
- What Would You Have to Give Up to Pay for An Unexpected...
- Four Tips to Keep Your Kids' Teeth Healthy And Clean
- Local Community Newspapers Go Digital
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- N. American Effie Awards Announces 2017 Collegiate Effie Competition
- Students Increasingly Turn To GoFundMe To Pay For College
- O2 BARS: LATEST RAGE AT COLLEGE DE-STRESS, SOCIAL, & WELLNESS EVENTS
- Deadline Approaching for Phi Kappa Phi Study Abroad Grants
- ESA Foundation launches 2017-18 Scholarship Program