In topsy-turvy Big East, anybody can win
As USF prepares to return to the field at Rutgers on Saturday, coach Skip Holtz spoke Monday about the unpredictability of the Big East and a Rutgers team that is one win away from becoming bowl eligible.
Winning just four games last season, the Scarlet Knights' (5-3, 2-2) young roster was tabbed to finish last in the conference this year. However, that spot is held by USF (4-3, 0-3), which was picked to finish third and received first-place votes.
It's been that kind of year so far in the Big East, where No. 23 Cincinnati is the highest-ranked team in the Associated Press poll and the only team undefeated in the conference, despite being picked to finish fifth.
"When you look at the difference between winning and losing in almost every one of these conference games, it's one play," Holtz said. "I think the margin of victory in this league is extremely small … When you start talking about a conference game, all the way from first place to last place, almost anybody can win."
The Bulls are the only team in the conference that has yet to win a league game, but will face a Rutgers team that is coming off consecutive losses after opening the Big East season with a pair of wins.
"When you look at (Rutgers), especially on the defensive side of the ball … they're ranked in the top three in the league in … nine of the categories that we keep," Holtz said. "They have a very talented team."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- As USF football surges forward, winless UCF hobbles toward finish line
- USF men's basketball tops Albany for first win of season
- USF professor goes viral for comments on friend requests
- Tampa sees rise in income inequality
- Yogurt, the front-line defense against Type 1 diabetes?
- USF’s new policy not in employees’ best interest
- Open mic discusses impact of suicide
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- The INs and OUTs of a Hospital Stay
- The Movie Studio Reveals New Opportunities for Indie...
- Brighten Your Holidays With LED Lights
- Tell Congress to Protect Paper Investor Reports
- Climb Stairs Without Hurting Yourself
- Is Your Baby Ready for Chewing?
- Millennials Are Determined to Lessen Their Kids' College...
- Organizar Un Maratón De La Película Star...
- Know Your Drug Costs Before You Leave the Doctor's Office
- Shopping for a New Sofa? Keep These Design Tips in Mind