In topsy-turvy Big East, anybody can win
As USF prepares to return to the field at Rutgers on Saturday, coach Skip Holtz spoke Monday about the unpredictability of the Big East and a Rutgers team that is one win away from becoming bowl eligible.
Winning just four games last season, the Scarlet Knights' (5-3, 2-2) young roster was tabbed to finish last in the conference this year. However, that spot is held by USF (4-3, 0-3), which was picked to finish third and received first-place votes.
It's been that kind of year so far in the Big East, where No. 23 Cincinnati is the highest-ranked team in the Associated Press poll and the only team undefeated in the conference, despite being picked to finish fifth.
"When you look at the difference between winning and losing in almost every one of these conference games, it's one play," Holtz said. "I think the margin of victory in this league is extremely small … When you start talking about a conference game, all the way from first place to last place, almost anybody can win."
The Bulls are the only team in the conference that has yet to win a league game, but will face a Rutgers team that is coming off consecutive losses after opening the Big East season with a pair of wins.
"When you look at (Rutgers), especially on the defensive side of the ball … they're ranked in the top three in the league in … nine of the categories that we keep," Holtz said. "They have a very talented team."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- LED Technology Helping People See The World in a Whole...
- Ice Dams Put Homes at Risk for Termites
- 5 Tips to Having a Happy, Healthy Heart
- What Does Million in IRS Budget Cuts Mean for Taxpayers?
- Workers Say a Good Cup of Coffee Can Make Entire Workday...
- Fresh Fruit Delivers Fun and Nutrition
- Say No to the Knife: Reduce the Likeliness Of Surgery...
- Give Your Kitchen a New Look With a Lighting Update
- Garden Project Spreads Its Roots in Urban Areas
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- WHOLE YOU CHALLENGES THE HEALTHCARE INDUSTRY AND PUBLIC TO HELP FIND SOLUTIONS FOR THOSE WITH ORAL AND VISION LIMITATIONS
- 10 Reasons Why Cancun is the Spring Break Mecca of the World
- What's Next in Learning Spaces?
- carpooling, Europe's No. 1 ridesharing app, debuts in U.S. to college market
- PwC US Launches CareerAdvisor