Griffin, Dixon out, Mitchell returns to practice
The Bulls received some bad news regarding injuries Tuesday, when tests confirmed that redshirt sophomore wide receiver Sterling Griffin will miss six to eight weeks after suffering a fracture to his right ankle during Saturday's game against Cincinnati.
Griffin injured his ankle in the end zone while attempting to catch a pass from junior quarterback B.J. Daniels in the third quarter. This is the same ankle he injured last year, causing him to miss the entire 2010 season.
Griffin is the team's top receiver with 40 receptions for 493 yards, as well as two touchdowns.
"I just hate it for him … he's such a great young man," USF coach Skip Holtz said. "He's worked so hard to come back from the ankle a year ago. Thankfully, it's a non-surgical break, you know, not where he was a year ago, and he will be immobilized for probably six to eight weeks and then should be able to be at full strength because the bone should recover to 100 percent."
The loss of Griffin means the Bulls will rely on a corps of young receivers that includes redshirt freshman Deonte Welch and true freshmen Andre Davis and Ruben Gonzalez.
It was also confirmed Tuesday that backup cornerback Ricardo Dixon tore his ACL during Saturday's loss. The redshirt sophomore will miss the rest of the 2011 season.
Some good news for the Bulls was that sophomore wide receiver Terrence Mitchell, who has been sidelined with a concussion since Sept. 24, was back in practice Tuesday in full pads and catching some passes from offensive coordinator Todd Fitch.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Quinton Flowers wins AAC Offensive Player of the Year
- BOT formally approves Genshaft bonus
- Top 10 moments of the fall semester
- Netflix: No Wi-Fi needed
- USF Health Services sees spike in clients as exams near
- USF System President Genshaft up for performance-based stipend
- USF students reflect on fall semester
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Got Tech Neck? Here's Some Advice.
- Three Simple Swaps for a Healthier Lunch
- Epilepsy Awareness Day 2016 Largest Turnout Ever
- Give the Gift of Connectivity, Without the Stress
- New Cancer Treatment Continues to Progress By Filing for...
- How Many Years Does it Take to Become a Doctor of...
- Many Working Mothers Can't Afford Their Health Insurance...
- A Date with Destiny: Video Games Teach Kids Life Lessons
- The Magic Number for Millennials: $51,000
- A New Read on Literacy: The 3 Keys to Building Lifelong...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- PEPSICO AND 21ST CENTURY FOX ANNOUNCE "THE SEARCH FOR HIDDEN FIGURES"
- The Most Popular Entry-Level Jobs and Companies for College Graduates
- National Meningitis Association Urges Students to take Pledge2Prevent
- American Cancer Society and CVS Health Foundation Award Grants to Help 20 Colleges and Universities Go Tobacco-Free in Largest Initiative of Its Kind
- BPU Offers Sentiment Analysis Free to Universities