Griffin, Dixon out, Mitchell returns to practice
The Bulls received some bad news regarding injuries Tuesday, when tests confirmed that redshirt sophomore wide receiver Sterling Griffin will miss six to eight weeks after suffering a fracture to his right ankle during Saturday's game against Cincinnati.
Griffin injured his ankle in the end zone while attempting to catch a pass from junior quarterback B.J. Daniels in the third quarter. This is the same ankle he injured last year, causing him to miss the entire 2010 season.
Griffin is the team's top receiver with 40 receptions for 493 yards, as well as two touchdowns.
"I just hate it for him … he's such a great young man," USF coach Skip Holtz said. "He's worked so hard to come back from the ankle a year ago. Thankfully, it's a non-surgical break, you know, not where he was a year ago, and he will be immobilized for probably six to eight weeks and then should be able to be at full strength because the bone should recover to 100 percent."
The loss of Griffin means the Bulls will rely on a corps of young receivers that includes redshirt freshman Deonte Welch and true freshmen Andre Davis and Ruben Gonzalez.
It was also confirmed Tuesday that backup cornerback Ricardo Dixon tore his ACL during Saturday's loss. The redshirt sophomore will miss the rest of the 2011 season.
Some good news for the Bulls was that sophomore wide receiver Terrence Mitchell, who has been sidelined with a concussion since Sept. 24, was back in practice Tuesday in full pads and catching some passes from offensive coordinator Todd Fitch.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Despite injury, Flowers to start against No. 22 Navy
- Trump, Clinton focus on Bay Area with early voting commencing
- Building a BRIDGE
- Organization provides shuttles to early polling sites
- USF campus police notification system receives criticism from students
- Women’s basketball starter ruled out
- USF senior day ends in draw with Bearcats
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Which Home Upgrades Really Pay Off?
- Reverse Mortgages Can Be a Valuable Retirement Tool
- Family Friday Destination: Try This TV Trio
- A Life Half Full: Aging With Optimism
- Lights, Camera, Action -- Holiday Style
- Bates Family Grows as Daughters Become Moms
- Women Face Challenges When It Comes to Health Coverage
- Fitness Sauna Promotes Health and Profit for Small...
- Backpack Offers Instant Drink Discreetly At the Push of a...
- Stem Cells, Biologics Could Be Answer to Next Generation...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- GoFundMe Awards $100,000 in Scholarships to 10 Promising Students
- Kaplan Survey: Law School Slump May be Over, but Recovery is Fragile
- CONFERENCE USA COLLEGE WOMEN'S VOLLEYBALL AND MEN'S SOCCER COVERAGE ONLY ON beIN SPORTS
- Exclusive campus app bans professors and launches into 30 campuses!
- COLLEGE FOOTBALL CONTINUES THIS WEEKEND WITH FLORIDA ATLANTIC AT FIU - only on beIN SPORTS