Griffin, Dixon out, Mitchell returns to practice
The Bulls received some bad news regarding injuries Tuesday, when tests confirmed that redshirt sophomore wide receiver Sterling Griffin will miss six to eight weeks after suffering a fracture to his right ankle during Saturday's game against Cincinnati.
Griffin injured his ankle in the end zone while attempting to catch a pass from junior quarterback B.J. Daniels in the third quarter. This is the same ankle he injured last year, causing him to miss the entire 2010 season.
Griffin is the team's top receiver with 40 receptions for 493 yards, as well as two touchdowns.
"I just hate it for him … he's such a great young man," USF coach Skip Holtz said. "He's worked so hard to come back from the ankle a year ago. Thankfully, it's a non-surgical break, you know, not where he was a year ago, and he will be immobilized for probably six to eight weeks and then should be able to be at full strength because the bone should recover to 100 percent."
The loss of Griffin means the Bulls will rely on a corps of young receivers that includes redshirt freshman Deonte Welch and true freshmen Andre Davis and Ruben Gonzalez.
It was also confirmed Tuesday that backup cornerback Ricardo Dixon tore his ACL during Saturday's loss. The redshirt sophomore will miss the rest of the 2011 season.
Some good news for the Bulls was that sophomore wide receiver Terrence Mitchell, who has been sidelined with a concussion since Sept. 24, was back in practice Tuesday in full pads and catching some passes from offensive coordinator Todd Fitch.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Insuring the Health of America's Emerging...
- New FDA-Cleared Device Significantly Advances IV Therapy...
- Take a Bite Out of Gum Disease By Seeing a Periodontist
- Natural Health Care From Down Under Poised to Make U.S....
- Wellness Travel Is on the Rise
- 3 Steps to Build a Better Nest Egg
- Para los latinos, el Día de las Madres es una...
- Top 4 Signs You Need to Call a Pest Professional
- Another Reason to Choose Chiropractic Care First for Pain...
- Create a Precious Moment for Mom This Mother's Day
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- GREAT GRADUATION GIFT: WHAT THEY DIDN'T TEACH YOU IN SCHOOL!
- National Foundation for Infectious Diseases Calls on College Campuses to Be Prepared for Meningococcal Disease
- Safety App BlueLight Launches at 10 New Campuses for Sexual Assault Awareness Month
- TD Ameritrade Seeks Applicants for NextGen Financial Planning Scholarships, Grants
- Make it Count: Get the Most out of the End of the Semester!