Freshmen carry Bulls to win
Following an opening loss to Southeast Missouri State on Friday, the Bulls entered the second day in a tough spot. The team refused to quit, however, as they lost just one set against Evansville and St. Louis combined, taking down Evansville in four sets and sweeping the host Billikens to seal the tournament championship.
Led by the play of freshmen Erin Fairs and Ciara Brown, who combined to hit .370, the Bulls broke even on their six-game road trip at 3-3. The team will now return home for the USF Tournament, opening against James Madison University on Friday.
Im really proud of this team, coach Courtney Draper said. It was a great effort with a lot of people contributing in a lot of different ways throughout the tournament. Caitlyn Breen had nine blocks (against St. Louis,) and Valerie El Houssines serve-receive was amazing. Everyone contributed in one capacity or another.
Bulls get back on track in Charleston The USF womens soccer team broke an offensive slump that saw two losses in the UCF Tournament, scoring four goals on its way to going 2-0 in the College of Charleston Cup.
Freshman midfielder and forward Olivia Chance broke through for two goals in Friday nights opener; both in the second half, to flip the script after the team had lost back-to-back games on second-half goals. Coach Denise Schilte-Brown was confident in her teams chances.
You could kind of feel it coming, Schilte-Brown said. It was one of those games where you felt your team was going to win, they just had to keep working at it. I was really happy with them.
The Bulls followed Fridays win with another strong performance Sunday, scoring once in each half, from junior Demi Stokes and freshman Jackie Simpson, on their way to a 2-0 win. The team will return home to begin Big East play, kicking off at 1 p.m. Sunday against Pittsburgh.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- USF assistant coach resigns amid NCAA investigation
- UP arrests Clearwater man for sexual battery
- A student-driven upgrade: USF Health expands to better serve its students
- USF student interns in Florida Everglades
- Pokemon conquer campus: The new app “Pokemon Go” allows students to get act...
- We’ll always have Tampa: Tampa Theatre hosts Summer Classics Series
- O’Neal’s Olympic bid falls short
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Driver Safety: New Tips for Road Trips
- What to Ask About the Medicines You Take
- Summer Is the Perfect Time to Catch Up on Some Reading
- There's At Least One Thing Americans Are Satisfied With
- What to Look for in a New House This Home Buying Season
- Is Your Eye Makeup Making You Sick? What You Need to Know
- Biotech Companies Are Still the "It" Stock to Have in...
- Give Seniors a Lift With Household Chores
- On the Brink: Africa Viewed As Growth Target for Telecom
- Protect Your Family With Encryption
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Higher Education Goes Solar to Charge Mobile Devices
- Course Hero Beats Donation Goal for Books for Africa
- Course Hero Receives 2016 Top Workplace Award from Bay Area News Group
- Citavi Offers Summer Thesis-Writing Toolkit for Graduate Students
- Course Hero Welcomes Dr. Arthur Levine to their Advisory Board