Freshmen carry Bulls to win
Following an opening loss to Southeast Missouri State on Friday, the Bulls entered the second day in a tough spot. The team refused to quit, however, as they lost just one set against Evansville and St. Louis combined, taking down Evansville in four sets and sweeping the host Billikens to seal the tournament championship.
Led by the play of freshmen Erin Fairs and Ciara Brown, who combined to hit .370, the Bulls broke even on their six-game road trip at 3-3. The team will now return home for the USF Tournament, opening against James Madison University on Friday.
Im really proud of this team, coach Courtney Draper said. It was a great effort with a lot of people contributing in a lot of different ways throughout the tournament. Caitlyn Breen had nine blocks (against St. Louis,) and Valerie El Houssines serve-receive was amazing. Everyone contributed in one capacity or another.
Bulls get back on track in Charleston The USF womens soccer team broke an offensive slump that saw two losses in the UCF Tournament, scoring four goals on its way to going 2-0 in the College of Charleston Cup.
Freshman midfielder and forward Olivia Chance broke through for two goals in Friday nights opener; both in the second half, to flip the script after the team had lost back-to-back games on second-half goals. Coach Denise Schilte-Brown was confident in her teams chances.
You could kind of feel it coming, Schilte-Brown said. It was one of those games where you felt your team was going to win, they just had to keep working at it. I was really happy with them.
The Bulls followed Fridays win with another strong performance Sunday, scoring once in each half, from junior Demi Stokes and freshman Jackie Simpson, on their way to a 2-0 win. The team will return home to begin Big East play, kicking off at 1 p.m. Sunday against Pittsburgh.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Do More With Less
- New Treatment for Undiagnosed Sports Injuries -- From...
- Beat the Crowds: Visit Europe During the Shoulder Seasons
- Building a Better Bridge From Hospital to Home Health Care
- 8 Tips to Selecting Colors for Your Home's Exterior
- This Year, Make a Goal to Contribute More to Your 401(k)
- Giving the Elderly a Lift -- In Their Home
- 4-H Grown: Alumni Asked to Stand Up and Support STEM...
- Haven't Tried Sardines? Try These
- Weatherizing Your Home Can Mean Big Benefits
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- STUDENTS BATTLE FOR FREE COLLEGE TUITION IN BLIZZARD ENTERTAINMENT'S "HEROES OF THE DORM™" TOURNAMENT
- Entries Now Open for 7th Annual College Sports Media Awards
- Rescue your Spring Break with new app dubbed the "Uber of Roadside Assistance"
- First Lady Michelle Obama and the Peace Corps Join Together to Expand Girls' Education
- Potential health risks of hookah smoking are being overlooked by users