Florida Cabinet approves USF researchers' request for exhumation permit
The Florida Cabinet voted Tuesday morning to approve the University of South Florida’s request to begin exhuming grave sites at the Dozier School for Boys.
When Dozier researchers had their request for an exhumation permit denied for a second time on July 15, they created a petition asking state officials to reconsider.
USF graduate student Mary Cairns also created an online petition asking state officials to reconsider.
“It’s really not just an academic issue,” Cairns said. “I thought many people would have an interest in assuring that the people who died and were buried at Dozier had their voices heard.”
Researchers from USF’s anthropology department have been studying the grave site at the Dozier School for Boys since 2011, but their initial two requests for an exhumation permit were denied.
A press release from USF said excavation work could now begin as early as this month.
— Reporting by Roberto Roldan
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Every Room Tells a Story if You Set the Stage
- Guiding Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer Using Subtypes
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership
- PAOLO NUTINI CELEBRATES U.S. RELEASE OF “CAUSTIC LOVE”