Florida Cabinet approves USF researchers' request for exhumation permit
The Florida Cabinet voted Tuesday morning to approve the University of South Florida’s request to begin exhuming grave sites at the Dozier School for Boys.
When Dozier researchers had their request for an exhumation permit denied for a second time on July 15, they created a petition asking state officials to reconsider.
USF graduate student Mary Cairns also created an online petition asking state officials to reconsider.
“It’s really not just an academic issue,” Cairns said. “I thought many people would have an interest in assuring that the people who died and were buried at Dozier had their voices heard.”
Researchers from USF’s anthropology department have been studying the grave site at the Dozier School for Boys since 2011, but their initial two requests for an exhumation permit were denied.
A press release from USF said excavation work could now begin as early as this month.
— Reporting by Roberto Roldan
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Quinton Flowers wins AAC Offensive Player of the Year
- BOT formally approves Genshaft bonus
- Top 10 moments of the fall semester
- Netflix: No Wi-Fi needed
- USF Health Services sees spike in clients as exams near
- USF System President Genshaft up for performance-based stipend
- USF students reflect on fall semester
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Yes, Olivia, There Is a Santa, and He's Calling You
- Got Tech Neck? Here's Some Advice.
- Three Simple Swaps for a Healthier Lunch
- Epilepsy Awareness Day 2016 Largest Turnout Ever
- Give the Gift of Connectivity, Without the Stress
- New Cancer Treatment Continues to Progress By Filing for...
- How Many Years Does it Take to Become a Doctor of...
- Many Working Mothers Can't Afford Their Health Insurance...
- A Date with Destiny: Video Games Teach Kids Life Lessons
- The Magic Number for Millennials: $51,000
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- PEPSICO AND 21ST CENTURY FOX ANNOUNCE "THE SEARCH FOR HIDDEN FIGURES"
- The Most Popular Entry-Level Jobs and Companies for College Graduates
- National Meningitis Association Urges Students to take Pledge2Prevent
- American Cancer Society and CVS Health Foundation Award Grants to Help 20 Colleges and Universities Go Tobacco-Free in Largest Initiative of Its Kind
- BPU Offers Sentiment Analysis Free to Universities