Fairs finds success after long road to USF
When freshman outside hitter Erin Fairs met her future teammates on an official visit to USF, she was excited and felt at ease in a place far from home.
Fairs came from Richmond, Texas, after recruitment by former USF coach Claire Lessinger. She had never even seen a Big East volleyball game, but immediately identified with how the Bulls approached the sport.
I loved the girls excitement, she said. Thats how Ive always been and I just wanted to be a part of that.
But impact athletics in college was not far from home at all.
Her father, Eric Fairs, played seven seasons in the NFL and her mother played college basketball. She said she learned the importance of playing hard and keeping a positive attitude from her parents, though they didnt push her to be an athlete.
I started volleyball on my own, she said. Nobody in my family ever played and it was almost shocking to them when I started.
Volleyball, she said, was a personal discovery.
She began the seventh grade on a horrible note, she said. But during her freshman year of high school, she realized volleyball might be her passion.
She said some told her she had the potential to be great only two years after beginning the sport as a B-team setter, and she began to gain confidence in her game.
Now entering her first season of Big East play, the 5-foot-11 freshman who ranks second on the Bulls with 2.33 kills per set through 14 games, still considers herself an unpolished player.
I expect to grow a lot, she said. Im still a raw player and there are things I need to know and the coaches are helping me out so much.
Fairs said if she started the sport at an earlier age like most of her teammates, she might have a better understanding of the game and be more efficient.
Maybe I wouldnt hit the ball as hard as I do, she said.
Coach Courtney Draper said she loves Fairs passion and excitement for the game.
At first, I didnt know how much she would play, but her approach to the game is great. Its so hard to keep her off the court, she said.
Thats exactly what Fairs set out to do.
This summer I just wanted to prove I belong on the court, she said. I have the mentality of Im a freshman but I cant act like it.
Fairs and the Bulls will play the Louisville Cardinals on Friday at 7 p.m. in the USF Sun Dome Corral.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
- What It Takes to Get One of the Most In-Demand Jobs
- Where Do Pests Lurk? The Rooms in Your Home That Pests...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge