Fairs carries USF to weekend split
A loss to 17th-ranked Louisville did not deter the USF volleyball team (10-7, 2-2), as it bounced back to beat Cincinnati in five sets Sunday.
After dropping the first set 25-20, the Bulls, led by freshman Erin Fairs and junior Kayla Walton, won 25-17 and 25-19 and sealed it with a 21-19 win in the final set. Walton had a career-high 22 kills as the Bulls moved back to 2-2 in conference play.
The win over Cincinnati followed a tough loss to Louisville on Friday night. After a loss to Seton Hall last weekend to end the teams six-game winning streak, the Bulls looked to bounce back with a win over the Cardinals.
Following a 25-20 win in the first set of the match, USF was unable to win another set. The Cardinals won the remaining three sets 25-18, 25-20 and 25-23.
Despite the loss, the Bulls saw strong play from Fairs once again.
She led the Bulls with a career-high 17 kills and was second on the team with 15 digs, another career high. She picked up her third career double-double in the four-set loss.
She just had a really consistent night for us, coach Courtney Draper said. If she can continue to do that throughout conference play, I think that we will be very successful.
After splitting their weekend games, the Bulls will head back to the road for a match with the Syracuse Orange on Friday. They will finish off the weekend with a game in Wisconsin, against Marquette on Sunday.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Kheireddine and Kent officially sworn into office
- Accusations swirl as decision on student body president nears
- USF partners with company of Lightning owner Jeff Vinik
- Running back Darius Tice gets second chance
- Three predictions for USF football
- Bay Area joins international March for Science
- EDITORIAL: When can we expect a president?
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Non-Profit Venture Fund Seeks to Support The American Dream
- Sustained Happiness Starts from Within
- Reverse Mortgages Benefit Younger Seniors
- Sunshine State Shining New Light on the Banking Industry
- Honoring Moms : How 3 Inspiring Women are Changing the World
- Look Before You Buy: Virtual Reality Comes to Home...
- Olympic Power Couple Teams Up to Fight Blood Cancers with...
- Two Meals in One: Arborio Rice, Perfect for Risotto &...
- New Nighttime Grind Guard Relieves Jaw Pain
- Why Yoga Relieves Stress, Improves Health and Balances...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Comic Book and Sports Card Show
- A Harvard Dean's 5 Essential Questions for Success
- COLLEGE STUDENTS: DO THESE THREE THINGS THIS SUMMER TO BOOST YOUR FINANCES
- Annual PepsiCo/SWE Student Engineering Challenge Gives Undergraduates Real-World Engineering Practicum
- Dallas Regional Chamber Targets National Millennial Workforce with New Talent Attraction Campaign, Say Yes to Dallas