Fairs carries USF to weekend split
A loss to 17th-ranked Louisville did not deter the USF volleyball team (10-7, 2-2), as it bounced back to beat Cincinnati in five sets Sunday.
After dropping the first set 25-20, the Bulls, led by freshman Erin Fairs and junior Kayla Walton, won 25-17 and 25-19 and sealed it with a 21-19 win in the final set. Walton had a career-high 22 kills as the Bulls moved back to 2-2 in conference play.
The win over Cincinnati followed a tough loss to Louisville on Friday night. After a loss to Seton Hall last weekend to end the teams six-game winning streak, the Bulls looked to bounce back with a win over the Cardinals.
Following a 25-20 win in the first set of the match, USF was unable to win another set. The Cardinals won the remaining three sets 25-18, 25-20 and 25-23.
Despite the loss, the Bulls saw strong play from Fairs once again.
She led the Bulls with a career-high 17 kills and was second on the team with 15 digs, another career high. She picked up her third career double-double in the four-set loss.
She just had a really consistent night for us, coach Courtney Draper said. If she can continue to do that throughout conference play, I think that we will be very successful.
After splitting their weekend games, the Bulls will head back to the road for a match with the Syracuse Orange on Friday. They will finish off the weekend with a game in Wisconsin, against Marquette on Sunday.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Quinton Flowers wins AAC Offensive Player of the Year
- BOT formally approves Genshaft bonus
- Top 10 moments of the fall semester
- Netflix: No Wi-Fi needed
- USF Health Services sees spike in clients as exams near
- USF System President Genshaft up for performance-based stipend
- USF students reflect on fall semester
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Got Tech Neck? Here's Some Advice.
- Three Simple Swaps for a Healthier Lunch
- Epilepsy Awareness Day 2016 Largest Turnout Ever
- Give the Gift of Connectivity, Without the Stress
- New Cancer Treatment Continues to Progress By Filing for...
- How Many Years Does it Take to Become a Doctor of...
- Many Working Mothers Can't Afford Their Health Insurance...
- A Date with Destiny: Video Games Teach Kids Life Lessons
- The Magic Number for Millennials: $51,000
- A New Read on Literacy: The 3 Keys to Building Lifelong...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- PEPSICO AND 21ST CENTURY FOX ANNOUNCE "THE SEARCH FOR HIDDEN FIGURES"
- The Most Popular Entry-Level Jobs and Companies for College Graduates
- National Meningitis Association Urges Students to take Pledge2Prevent
- American Cancer Society and CVS Health Foundation Award Grants to Help 20 Colleges and Universities Go Tobacco-Free in Largest Initiative of Its Kind
- BPU Offers Sentiment Analysis Free to Universities