Fairs carries USF to weekend split
A loss to 17th-ranked Louisville did not deter the USF volleyball team (10-7, 2-2), as it bounced back to beat Cincinnati in five sets Sunday.
After dropping the first set 25-20, the Bulls, led by freshman Erin Fairs and junior Kayla Walton, won 25-17 and 25-19 and sealed it with a 21-19 win in the final set. Walton had a career-high 22 kills as the Bulls moved back to 2-2 in conference play.
The win over Cincinnati followed a tough loss to Louisville on Friday night. After a loss to Seton Hall last weekend to end the teams six-game winning streak, the Bulls looked to bounce back with a win over the Cardinals.
Following a 25-20 win in the first set of the match, USF was unable to win another set. The Cardinals won the remaining three sets 25-18, 25-20 and 25-23.
Despite the loss, the Bulls saw strong play from Fairs once again.
She led the Bulls with a career-high 17 kills and was second on the team with 15 digs, another career high. She picked up her third career double-double in the four-set loss.
She just had a really consistent night for us, coach Courtney Draper said. If she can continue to do that throughout conference play, I think that we will be very successful.
After splitting their weekend games, the Bulls will head back to the road for a match with the Syracuse Orange on Friday. They will finish off the weekend with a game in Wisconsin, against Marquette on Sunday.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Campus dining caters to vegans
- Lecture shines light on human trafficking
- Three-star recruit flips from Utah to USF
- Weber continues high school success with Bulls
- Death penalty should at least be painless if still around
- Fallen Bulls remembered by loved ones at memorial service
- USF given $5M to plan downtown med school
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Give Your Kitchen a New Look With a Lighting Update
- Garden Project Spreads Its Roots in Urban Areas
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
- How to Be More Productive During Your Business Flights
- It's Never too Late to Start Living Healthy
- Revive tus objetivos de verte saludable en 2015
- Debunking Common Tax-Filing Myths
- With Help From Chile, Blueberries Stay Fresh All Winter
- Small Fixtures Make a Big Design Impact
- Keeping the Workplace in Proper Alignment
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- ASCO Numatics Announces 2015 Industrial Automation Engineering Scholarships
- Coffee Club Goes Viral With Members Earning Free Starbucks Cards
- UniversitySpot.com Introduces Extensive, Curated List of Free Online Courses for Winter 2015
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World