Fairs carries USF to weekend split
A loss to 17th-ranked Louisville did not deter the USF volleyball team (10-7, 2-2), as it bounced back to beat Cincinnati in five sets Sunday.
After dropping the first set 25-20, the Bulls, led by freshman Erin Fairs and junior Kayla Walton, won 25-17 and 25-19 and sealed it with a 21-19 win in the final set. Walton had a career-high 22 kills as the Bulls moved back to 2-2 in conference play.
The win over Cincinnati followed a tough loss to Louisville on Friday night. After a loss to Seton Hall last weekend to end the teams six-game winning streak, the Bulls looked to bounce back with a win over the Cardinals.
Following a 25-20 win in the first set of the match, USF was unable to win another set. The Cardinals won the remaining three sets 25-18, 25-20 and 25-23.
Despite the loss, the Bulls saw strong play from Fairs once again.
She led the Bulls with a career-high 17 kills and was second on the team with 15 digs, another career high. She picked up her third career double-double in the four-set loss.
She just had a really consistent night for us, coach Courtney Draper said. If she can continue to do that throughout conference play, I think that we will be very successful.
After splitting their weekend games, the Bulls will head back to the road for a match with the Syracuse Orange on Friday. They will finish off the weekend with a game in Wisconsin, against Marquette on Sunday.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- This Year, Make a Goal to Contribute More to Your 401(k)
- Giving the Elderly a Lift -- In Their Home
- 4-H Grown: Alumni Asked to Stand Up and Support STEM...
- Haven't Tried Sardines? Try These
- Weatherizing Your Home Can Mean Big Benefits
- 10 Tips to Stay Safe During Spring Break
- 10 Tips for Staying Safe During Spring Break
- 3 Things to Know Before Ride-Booking a Car
- For Advanced Heart Failure Patients, There Is Hope
- Bringing Chiropractic to the Little League
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Potential health risks of hookah smoking are being overlooked by users
- Study Finds College-age Millennials Hopeful for the Future, Worry about Student Loans and Overspending
- RetailMeNot Helps Students Save Money on Spring Break Travel
- Visit Virtual Study Abroad Fair on February 25 to explore study abroad options and win prizes
- Students kill three birds with one stone