Engineering Research Day showcases new innovations
Judges and staff members walked around the Interdisciplinary Research Building, examining rows of posters displaying wide-ranged research projects, as USF engineering students stood by their posters, confidently presenting their research to onlookers.
The College of Engineering hosted its sixth annual Research Day on Wednesday, attracting many people from the university, as well as the local community.
“It is very clear that engineering is a critical part in the research community,” Jose Zayas-Castro, associate dean for research at USF, said. “We hope to highlight the great works of the students.”
Projects on display ranged from energy efficiency and environmental sustainability, to roadway safety and indoor surveillance systems, to vocational rehabilitation for disabled people.
Juan Jose Marron-Monteserin, a master’s student in computer science, conducted research on tracking pedestrians and activity indoors.
Through the sensors embedded in smartphones, he was able to present a system that can trace human movement indoors, and map out the inside of a building.
This research, he said, can open doors to progression in surveillance technology, and possibly architectural mapping.
Yolanda Daza, a Ph.D. candidate in chemical and biomedical engineering, conducted three years of research on energy efficiency and ways in which carbon dioxide gases can be recycled into more desirable and useful resources.
The project, Daza said, is just the start of what might be a new solution for the energy crisis, recycling unwanted and excess carbon dioxide into a more useful and energy-efficient product, which she hopes to be used for power plants in the future.
Beth Fontes, director of development, said the roles of donors at the university encourage new research and innovation.
“It is a great opportunity to bring alumni, friends or industry partners to campus,“ She said. “Many people just want to give back.”
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR