Division-leading Bulls host Villanova
The USF men's soccer team hosts Villanova on Saturday as it continues to make its case as the best team in the Big East, having already proven its Red Division supremacy.
After top-ranked and previously undefeated Conn- ecticut was handed its first loss of the season 2-0 on the road against the West Virginia Mountaineers - a situation from which the Bulls emerged with a 2-1 victory - the Bulls are now one of only two teams with no losses in Big East play, alongside Marquette.
The Bulls (10-2-2, 5-0-1) have risen to No. 8 in the latest rankings, and could jump higher next week due to their 3-1 road victory against No. 10 Louisville on Tuesday night. Before the Bulls can focus on improving their ranking, however, they must deal with Villanova (4-6-4, 1-3-1).
Saturday's match has extra significance, as it is on the same day as the USF Homecoming football game.
"I'm hoping we'll get a pretty good crowd," coach George Kiefer said. "There's the football game in the afternoon and then a soccer game at night. Hopefully, at least the fans that live on campus will just go from one stadium to the other."
Yet, Kiefer said he is not letting his team get lost in the pageantry of Homecoming weekend.
"You know, it's not really going to change anything for us," he said. "It's just us playing another game on a Saturday night. The only real difference is our guys will finally get to watch our football team. We're usually out of town for those games."
Leading the team in its Big East dominance is junior forward Dom Dwyer. After scoring six goals in the Bulls' last five games, Dwyer now has 13 goals on the season, the highest total in the Big East. UConn's Mamadou Doudou Diouf is second with eight.
Dwyer is tied for fifth in the NCAA in goals. His recent success has gotten him recognition on both the conference and national levels. Following his recent goal spree, Dwyer was named to the College Soccer National Team of the Week for two consecutive weeks. Dwyer also received the Big East Offensive Player of the Week award for those two weeks.
"Dom is great with how hard he works," Kiefer said. "He's great at doing the little things. He practices really hard, and works on his offense and defense. He's great at moving without the ball, and that's exactly what sets him up with those goal opportunities."
Saturday's match against the Wildcats kicks off at the Corbett Soccer Stadium at 7:30 p.m.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Despite losing record, Bulls sets sights on conference title
- Z Baked provides warm cookies on demand
- Addicted to Apple: a dire diagnosis for millennials
- USF partners with World Health Organization
- Speaker sees astronomy through historical lens
- Bulls aim to bounce back on homestand
- USF Oliver Gallery gets ‘Down and Dirty’
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership