Despite loss, Bulls on track for season goals
The game was over the whistle blew, the camera crews left, the stadium emptied and the lights turned off.
But despite the feeling of finality, the Bulls ended Thursday with their goal for the remainder of the 2012 season still well in their grasp.
Despite a 23-13 loss to Rutgers in which the Bulls looked listless and shaky for large stretches of play and fell flat in front of a national audience once again, the team is one of six Big East teams without a conference win.
The 2005 West Virginia Mountaineers and 2009 Cincinnati Bearcats are the only teams to manage an undefeated conference season in Big East history. With talent spread across the conference, a 6-1 Big East record would likely be enough to achieve USFs ultimate goal, a conference title.
Coach Skip Holtz, though visibly upset and frustrated with the teams five turnovers Thursday night
pounding the podium to emphasize his displeasure with the teams five turnovers said the team still has an opportunity at the title.
You dont let a win this early make your season, Holtz said. And you certainly dont let a loss this early take away from the season that you have the ability to have.
Fans are familiar with the traditional annual collapse of the football team, with a conference loss, usually on a Thursday night on ESPN, setting off a long chain of frustrating losses and a disappointing season. But the scenario is not the same in 2012, and the Bulls have a chance to fix things in a big way.
Since 2007, when the yearly tumble began, the teams first Big East loss came in week five or later, with a large majority of the conferences teams having picked up multiple conference wins. A week three loss could be a blessing for a team looking to escape history.
The Bulls will now prepare to travel to Indiana, with a winnable game against Ball State (2-1) on Saturday. But their next matchup will be a game fans have circled since it was announced: the Bulls will host the Florida State Seminoles, who are ranked 5th in the nation and have a chance to move
into the top three before Sept. 29.
A win or close loss to an elite opponent could send the Bulls back into Big East play with momentum, where a game against new conference foe Temple awaits. In the Owls inaugural Big East year, the Bulls will have a chance to move back to .500 in conference play before their toughest test of the season, a road game against heavy-favorite Louisville.
In the past, the Bulls got off to a strong out-of-conference start before a marathon slate halted the
teams momentum and a relentless gauntlet of opponents allowed little to no breathing room for a
team spiraling downward. In 2012, the team has a chance to rewrite the recipe.
With a chance to be favorites in two of its next three games and a game against a nationally recognized
in-state opponent the kind of game USF has become notorious for winning lying ahead, the USF football team has its season goals in sight and may have the advantage of an early loss to snap it back
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- ‘Jurassic World’ brings dino excitement back to life
- Haitian students to lead discussion on Caribbean migration crisis
- Schools share strategies for student success
- SCOTUS ruling not a personal attack against conservatives
- Woulard announces transfer to USF
- Antigua fills void with Penn State transfer
- Taggart adds offensive line depth
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Pointers for Packing the Perfect Summer Picnic
- Natural Snacks Make Nutritious Meals
- How American-Made Products Benefit Many
- Los Hispanos Celebran El Verano Con Diversión,...
- Minimizing the Mess: How to Keep a Clean Home With Kids
- Millennials Help Boost the Popularity of ETFs
- How to Handle the Potential Pitfalls of Dating
- Smart Homes Save Time and Money
- Simple Steps to Safeguard Your Second Home
- Smart Ways to Save on Home Insurance
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- vitaminwater® Announces Project Hustle Finalists
- Supermodel Jaslene Gonzalez to Speak at Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority 25th Anniversary Sisterhood Retreat
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS
- NEW WEBSITE FEATURES COLLEGE PROFESSORS EXCLUSIVELY AS ONLINE TUTORS
- Dickinson College and Jadu Reinvent Website and Portal with 'Single Experience Student Platform'