Conference changes could affect USF
Maryland announced Monday that it would be leaving the Atlantic Coast Conference for the Big Ten and reports surfaced that Rutgers is expected to follow, leaving from the Big East, Tuesday.
The announcement follows two years of conference re-alignment that have changed the competitive landscape of the Big East, leaving the future of USF the target of speculation.
According to CBS Sports Jeremy Fowler, USF is one of four schools in talks with the ACC for replacing Maryland. TBO.com reported that USF athletic director Doug Woolard declined to comment on the report.
Sports Information Director Jeremy Sharpe said Woolard and USF President Judy Genshaft are monitoring the different movements and have a basic philosophy of engaging in dialogue.
Sharpe said Woolard and Genshaft also have a primary focus of improving USFs athletics program as opposed to focusing on conferences. With improvements to facilities, Tampas large media market and game play improving last year, Sharpe said USF should be attractive to any conference.
In the last year Temple, Navy, Boise State, San Diego State, Southern Methodist, Central Florida, Houston and Memphis have been added to the Big East. The conference requires a 27-month period of notice and a $10 million exit fee, but negotiations were made for Syracuse, Pittsburgh and West Virginia to leave early within the last year.
Big East presidents and athletic directors will meet in New York City on Dec. 3 to determine the 2013-14 schedule.
Reporting by Divya Kumar
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- USFSP solar-powered garage turned on, largest in Florida
- Registrar to be removed amid lawsuit
- Tarek’s Cafe feeds USF’s eclectic tastes
- EDITORIAL: Scott needs to rethink stance on body cameras
- New chicken at Chick-fil-A
- Researchers study why mosquitoes excel at sucking
- Photo Gallery: Public art displays brighten up campus
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Know Which Plumbing Projects Need a Pro
- Light Up Your Landscaping Like a Pro
- Manage Emergency Plumbing Leaks With Ease
- How to Protect Pets From Fleas and Ticks
- Key Ingredients for a Healthy Heart
- Spring Cleaning Made Easy to Help Tackle Inanimate Allergens
- For Love of the Game -- Smokeless Tobacco Still a Part of...
- How Plumbing Is Flushing Into the Future
- New App Takes the Task Out of Boat Maintenance
- Talk Before You Take When Dealing With Medicine
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS
- NEW WEBSITE FEATURES COLLEGE PROFESSORS EXCLUSIVELY AS ONLINE TUTORS
- Dickinson College and Jadu Reinvent Website and Portal with 'Single Experience Student Platform'
- UT Austin Tops All-America Student Analyst Competition 2014-15
- SVG, NACDA Announce Finalists for 2015 College Sports Media Awards