Conference changes could affect USF
Maryland announced Monday that it would be leaving the Atlantic Coast Conference for the Big Ten and reports surfaced that Rutgers is expected to follow, leaving from the Big East, Tuesday.
The announcement follows two years of conference re-alignment that have changed the competitive landscape of the Big East, leaving the future of USF the target of speculation.
According to CBS Sports Jeremy Fowler, USF is one of four schools in talks with the ACC for replacing Maryland. TBO.com reported that USF athletic director Doug Woolard declined to comment on the report.
Sports Information Director Jeremy Sharpe said Woolard and USF President Judy Genshaft are monitoring the different movements and have a basic philosophy of engaging in dialogue.
Sharpe said Woolard and Genshaft also have a primary focus of improving USFs athletics program as opposed to focusing on conferences. With improvements to facilities, Tampas large media market and game play improving last year, Sharpe said USF should be attractive to any conference.
In the last year Temple, Navy, Boise State, San Diego State, Southern Methodist, Central Florida, Houston and Memphis have been added to the Big East. The conference requires a 27-month period of notice and a $10 million exit fee, but negotiations were made for Syracuse, Pittsburgh and West Virginia to leave early within the last year.
Big East presidents and athletic directors will meet in New York City on Dec. 3 to determine the 2013-14 schedule.
Reporting by Divya Kumar
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Quinton Flowers wins AAC Offensive Player of the Year
- BOT formally approves Genshaft bonus
- Top 10 moments of the fall semester
- Netflix: No Wi-Fi needed
- USF Health Services sees spike in clients as exams near
- USF System President Genshaft up for performance-based stipend
- USF students reflect on fall semester
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Got Tech Neck? Here's Some Advice.
- Three Simple Swaps for a Healthier Lunch
- Epilepsy Awareness Day 2016 Largest Turnout Ever
- Give the Gift of Connectivity, Without the Stress
- New Cancer Treatment Continues to Progress By Filing for...
- How Many Years Does it Take to Become a Doctor of...
- Many Working Mothers Can't Afford Their Health Insurance...
- A Date with Destiny: Video Games Teach Kids Life Lessons
- The Magic Number for Millennials: $51,000
- A New Read on Literacy: The 3 Keys to Building Lifelong...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- PEPSICO AND 21ST CENTURY FOX ANNOUNCE "THE SEARCH FOR HIDDEN FIGURES"
- The Most Popular Entry-Level Jobs and Companies for College Graduates
- National Meningitis Association Urges Students to take Pledge2Prevent
- American Cancer Society and CVS Health Foundation Award Grants to Help 20 Colleges and Universities Go Tobacco-Free in Largest Initiative of Its Kind
- BPU Offers Sentiment Analysis Free to Universities