Chickenpox case found at USF
USF students received an email Friday morning from Dean for Students Michael Freeman, confirming a case of chickenpox found on campus.
“Although chickenpox is not a serious disease for most people, it is highly contagious, which is why the university has decided to notify all students, faculty and staff,” the email said.
Dr. Joseph Puccio, Medical Director for Student Health Services, said even those who have contracted chickenpox or have been vaccinated could be at risk, though a much more reduced one.
“Even with the vaccine, which is a good one, studies have shown that mild cases have developed,” he said. “The rash may be mild and there may be no fever, but there’s still a possibility.”
Puccio said chickenpox is very contagious and is spread through respiratory droplets, such as through coughing or sharing forks, knives and spoons.
Symptoms include fever, fatigue, headache, loss of appetite and an itchy red or pink raised bumps on the skin, according to the Mayo Clinic.
Puccio said the symptoms for those who have been vaccinated could be more mild.
He said if students noticed they develop symptoms, he strongly encourages them to get them checked by a medical professional and avoid large crowds. To treat fevers, he said, Tylenol and Motrin can be used, but aspirin should be avoided as it can lead to Reye syndrome, which causes acute brain and liver damage, to those who have chickenpox.
USF does not require chickenpox vaccines except for individuals involved in health-related fields.
— Reporting by Divya Kumar
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Protest met with active counter-demonstration
- Smoke free campus?
- Shared, for a price
- Student letter voices displeasure with planned SDS protest
- USF softball picked to finish second in AAC
- Bulls’ home winning streak to be tested by No. 9 Louisville on Sunday
- Bulls alumni voice support for former strength coach
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Food, Fuel, and Finance ... The 3Fs of Economics
- Top Tips for Timely Performance Driving
- Wellness Program Rewards Healthy New Year's Goals
- New Medical Supplement Offers Advance in Bladder Control
- Get An Edge on College Prep Tests
- Noodles to the Rescue: Make Dinner In a Snap
- Student Athletes Emulate the Pros in Abusing Prescription...
- Specialized Firefighter Training Helps Save Farmers' Lives
- One New Year's Resolution You Don't Have to Keep to Be a...
- Reverse Mortgage Can Help With Retirement Planning
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College Students Head Back to Campus with Amazon Prime Student
- Phi Kappa Phi 2017 Award Programs Now Open
- MAX FROST RELEASES NEW VIDEO FOR INFECTIOUS TRACK "ADDERALL"
- PEPSICO AND 21ST CENTURY FOX ANNOUNCE "THE SEARCH FOR HIDDEN FIGURES"
- The Most Popular Entry-Level Jobs and Companies for College Graduates