Chickenpox case found at USF
USF students received an email Friday morning from Dean for Students Michael Freeman, confirming a case of chickenpox found on campus.
“Although chickenpox is not a serious disease for most people, it is highly contagious, which is why the university has decided to notify all students, faculty and staff,” the email said.
Dr. Joseph Puccio, Medical Director for Student Health Services, said even those who have contracted chickenpox or have been vaccinated could be at risk, though a much more reduced one.
“Even with the vaccine, which is a good one, studies have shown that mild cases have developed,” he said. “The rash may be mild and there may be no fever, but there’s still a possibility.”
Puccio said chickenpox is very contagious and is spread through respiratory droplets, such as through coughing or sharing forks, knives and spoons.
Symptoms include fever, fatigue, headache, loss of appetite and an itchy red or pink raised bumps on the skin, according to the Mayo Clinic.
Puccio said the symptoms for those who have been vaccinated could be more mild.
He said if students noticed they develop symptoms, he strongly encourages them to get them checked by a medical professional and avoid large crowds. To treat fevers, he said, Tylenol and Motrin can be used, but aspirin should be avoided as it can lead to Reye syndrome, which causes acute brain and liver damage, to those who have chickenpox.
USF does not require chickenpox vaccines except for individuals involved in health-related fields.
— Reporting by Divya Kumar
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- AAC Player of the Year removed from USF softball
- Ethics committee opens investigation of SG president
- Student bands get chance for the big stage
- First all-ticket presidential debate brings calls for change
- The threat of empty promises
- Bulls enter critical final stretch
- Tampa design firm urges city to play
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Protecting Seniors Online from Scams, Hacks and Tax Fraud
- Rehydrating for Optimal Health
- Five Reasons You Need Cell Phone Insurance Now
- The One Super Bowl Fact You Still May Not Know
- Companies Are Discovering That Pittsburgh Is Good for...
- Millennials Go House Hunting, and Here's What They Crave
- Estate Plans: You're Not Doing Anyone a Favor by Avoiding...
- What Would You Have to Give Up to Pay for An Unexpected...
- Four Tips to Keep Your Kids' Teeth Healthy And Clean
- Local Community Newspapers Go Digital
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- N. American Effie Awards Announces 2017 Collegiate Effie Competition
- Students Increasingly Turn To GoFundMe To Pay For College
- O2 BARS: LATEST RAGE AT COLLEGE DE-STRESS, SOCIAL, & WELLNESS EVENTS
- Deadline Approaching for Phi Kappa Phi Study Abroad Grants
- ESA Foundation launches 2017-18 Scholarship Program