Chick-fil-As real problem

By Alex Rosenthal, COLUMNIST
On September 18, 2012

Despite a summer of coverage and a petition going around campus, there still seems to be confusion in the controversy surrounding Chick-fil-A.

It is a fact the company president, Dan Cathy, has openly supported a traditional marriage, and it is the majority opinion that the company offers delicious sandwiches at reasonable prices. There is no argument on those two points.

But the controversy is not about what someone said.

It is more about what the company does and what it stands for. Chick-fil-A can voice its opinion on any topic, but it shouldnt fund harmful and unethical organizations.

USF professor Scott Fergusons petition to remove Chick-fil-A from campus doesnt concern the corporations freedom of speech its about what the organization funds behind closed doors.

The petition states that the company has donated over $5 million to anti-gay organizations between 2003-10 and that the University of South Florida should not fund a company that supports anti-equality measures.

The petition also refers to some of these organizations, such as Exodus International, which has a very clear one-sentence mission statement: Mobilizing the body of Christ to minister grace and truth to a world impacted by homosexuality.

Simply put, this is not an equal rights friendly organization.

Instead of being a strict corporate entity, the company regularly makes decisions on social stances, like closing every Sunday. If it wants to be equal to more families, it shouldnt just close on Sundays, but also on Friday evenings until Saturday night for Shabbat.

No one is protesting its right to its own views. Its the actions that are the problem.

Fergusons petition is not about an individual view in opposition to Cathys it is a national movement to stand up for equal rights for all humans. Other campuses across the nation have similarly stood up to the discrimination, and this petition is one among many.

In this topic of petitioning, rights, and values, there should be no confusion. In the controversy, the matters at hand should be clearly defined.

It is not about a controversial comment or disagreement on lifestyle views. This controversy is about a group of human beings standing up for basic rights for equality everywhere.

Alex Rosenthal is a freshman majoring in classics.