Bulls upset Rutgers to finish regular season
The USF women’s basketball team went all season without a win against a top 25 ranked team.
That changed Monday night in New Jersey, as the Bulls closed out their final game of the regular season with an upset victory against No. 24 Rutgers 60-51.
After the Bulls started the second half with a 13-point lead, Rutgers began to find opportunities to score from the free-throw line. 70.6 percent of their 17 free throws helped account for the 30 points they scored in the second half.
Within the final two minutes, Rutgers cut the deficit to four with two free throws. Sophomore guard Courtney Williams answered with a 3-pointer from the wing to make the score 57-51.
“(William’s 3-pointer) really helped us,” sophomore forward Alisia Jenkins said. “It put a lot of confidence in us.
The only 3-pointer of the second half was followed by free throws from Jenkins and senior guard Inga Orekhova. Rutgers was unable to score after Williams’ three.
In addition to Williams’ double-double of 26 points and 13 rebounds, Jenkins finished out the season with a double-double after 10 points and 13 rebounds against Rutgers.
The Bulls are entering the post season with a five-game winning streak and have only lost four games since their last loss to Rutgers on Dec. 28 at the Sun Dome.
In addition to the win streak, their victory against a ranked team helps their chances of an NCAA tournament appearance, which would be their second in two seasons.
USF will find out today who its first opponent will be for the AAC Championship. The Temple Owls are currently sixth in the conference with their 66-54 win against Houston. Pending the outcome of today’s rescheduled game between SMU and UCF, Temple could move to the fifth seed if SMU loses in Dallas.
Temple and SMU did not win a game against USF this season, but Temple was able to hold USF’s margin of victory down to three in their previous meeting on Feb. 22.
The AAC championship will begin in Connecticut
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- USF assistant coach resigns amid NCAA investigation
- UP arrests Clearwater man for sexual battery
- A student-driven upgrade: USF Health expands to better serve its students
- USF student interns in Florida Everglades
- Pokemon conquer campus: The new app “Pokemon Go” allows students to get act...
- We’ll always have Tampa: Tampa Theatre hosts Summer Classics Series
- O’Neal’s Olympic bid falls short
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Driver Safety: New Tips for Road Trips
- What to Ask About the Medicines You Take
- Summer Is the Perfect Time to Catch Up on Some Reading
- There's At Least One Thing Americans Are Satisfied With
- What to Look for in a New House This Home Buying Season
- Is Your Eye Makeup Making You Sick? What You Need to Know
- Biotech Companies Are Still the "It" Stock to Have in...
- Give Seniors a Lift With Household Chores
- On the Brink: Africa Viewed As Growth Target for Telecom
- Protect Your Family With Encryption
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Higher Education Goes Solar to Charge Mobile Devices
- Course Hero Beats Donation Goal for Books for Africa
- Course Hero Receives 2016 Top Workplace Award from Bay Area News Group
- Citavi Offers Summer Thesis-Writing Toolkit for Graduate Students
- Course Hero Welcomes Dr. Arthur Levine to their Advisory Board