Bulls try to bounce back heading into Senior Day
The USF women’s soccer team is in unfamiliar territory coming off of back-to-back losses last weekend, a first for the Bulls this season, as they prepare to face Memphis and Rutgers this weekend at Corbett Soccer Stadium.
Looking for a turnaround after losing 3-0 to Louisville and 3-2 to Cincinnati on the road, the Bulls enter the week hoping to end their losing streak against the Tigers (9-5-0, 2-3-0) on Friday night and Scarlet Knights
(11-2-1, 4-1-0) on Sunday.
In preparation for the weekend, USF coach Denise Schilte-Brown has her team focusing on training with the mindset of consistency.
“When you’re on the road, there’s that downtime in between practices when you’re together traveling,” she said. “There’s a lot of that, and when you don’t have any intensity training, it’s hard to keep that mentality on the road.”
Junior forward Demi Stokes said the team is working on correcting mistakes from last weekend, and one of those mistakes was not executing a game strategy.
“We went up 2-1, and we kept going and going and I think that because we had the mentality in our favor, we got caught up in the moment,” Stokes said. “It’s just being more game savvy — being more smart and recognizing different stages of the game.”
Stokes said being back home is refreshing after a tough road trip.
USF (7-4-3, 2-3-0) is undefeated at home as it approaches its final two home games against the Tigers and Scarlet Knights, the Sunday match being Senior Day.
With senior forward Sharla Passariello and senior goalkeeper Hannah Jasurda playing their last regular season home game Sunday, they serve as an “inspiration” to some of the younger
Freshman forward Jordyn Listro is one of those players.
“They’re always keeping their selfless attitude,” she said. “They’re always picking us up. They’re always looking out for us, making sure that we are on the right track with academics.”
Schilte-Brown said she never gets sad on Senior Day. Instead, she said, she’s enthusiastic about “the women they are becoming.”
The Tigers and Scarlet Knights travel to Tampa with victories over Houston and SMU from last weekend — both of which USF still has on the schedule following this weekend.
Led by junior forward Kaitlyn Atkins, who leads the American Athletic Conference with 11 assists, Memphis is second in the conference in assists with 30, averaging two assists a game, and third in goals with 33, averaging two goals a game.
Friday night’s match starts at 7:30 and Sunday’s match starts at 1 p.m.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Despite losing record, Bulls sets sights on conference title
- Z Baked provides warm cookies on demand
- Addicted to Apple: a dire diagnosis for millennials
- USF partners with World Health Organization
- Speaker sees astronomy through historical lens
- Bulls aim to bounce back on homestand
- USF Oliver Gallery gets ‘Down and Dirty’
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership