Bulls topple WVU, end streak
Hungry and prepared, the Bulls devoured the "steak sandwich" USF men's soccer coach George Kiefer called West Virginia earlier this week.
On the road, facing the team with the nation's longest home winning streak, the odds were against the Bulls.
Amid a raucous Mountaineers' crowd, the Bulls passed their first Big East test with flying colors by winning in Morgantown to end No. 16 West Virginia's nation-leading home win streak at 13. The 2-1 victory moved No. 17 USF to 5-2-1 on the season.
West Virginia's junior midfielder Shadow Sebele got the scoring started when he tipped a low cross into the edge of the goal in the eighth minute to give the home team an early lead, and the Mountaineers looked like they would roll to their 14th straight home win.
USF junior forward Dom Dwyer quickly quelled that notion. After taking a quick pass from freshman Wesley Charpie, Dwyer knocked in his team-leading seventh goal of the season to equalize in the 16th minute.
Despite multiple opportunities, the Bulls' next best chance came when junior Stiven Salinas was harshly tackled 25 yards from the goal in the 75th minute. Freshman Lucas Baldin stepped up for the free kick and blasted it to the top right corner, just beyond the hands of WVU goalkeeper Justin Holmes.
"When I was coming into work Wednesday, I saw Lucas and a couple of other guys practicing resets and set pieces, so to have the game-winner come on that exact situation was a life lesson for the team," Kiefer said.
Baldin's goal was enough, as the Bulls' defense held, despite a great chance for the Mountaineers on a free kick with 15 seconds remaining.
"This was probably the best team we've faced all year. And to come in and go down one, and take the game back, and eventually win … I'm learning a lot about this team," Kiefer said.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Sleep disorders common on college campuses
- Apps bring banking to phones, millennials
- No love lost in Antigua-Calipari reunion
- USF rolls past rival UCF, but is denied spot in AAC title game
- Trump miraculously still holds voters’ hearts
- As USF football surges forward, winless UCF hobbles toward finish line
- USF men's basketball tops Albany for first win of season
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- The INs and OUTs of a Hospital Stay
- The Movie Studio Reveals New Opportunities for Indie...
- Brighten Your Holidays With LED Lights
- Tell Congress to Protect Paper Investor Reports
- Climb Stairs Without Hurting Yourself
- Is Your Baby Ready for Chewing?
- Millennials Are Determined to Lessen Their Kids' College...
- Organizar Un Maratón De La Película Star...
- Know Your Drug Costs Before You Leave the Doctor's Office
- Shopping for a New Sofa? Keep These Design Tips in Mind