Bulls to be honored by mayor
The USF women’s basketball team will be honored by Tampa Mayor Bob Buckhorn on Friday at the mayor’s office.
Buckhorn will recognize the Bulls for their run in the NCAA Tournament.
The Bulls (22-11, 9-7) made the tournament for the first time since 2006, entering as the No. 10 seed, and saw their first tournament win, defeating No. 7 Texas Tech University in the opening round before losing in overtime to No. 6 seed, the California Golden Bears.
Along with members of the team, the coaching staff will be there as Buckhorn delivers a proclamation and will award the team with certificate of achievements.
USF’s historic season began with the team winning eight straight wins before losing to the Nebraska Huskers, a Top 25 team at the time, at home.It continued with the Bulls defeating another ranked team, No. 12 Louisville, on the road and Syracuse at home.
Then, in the first round of the NCAA Tournament, USF stunned the Red Raiders with junior guard Inga Orekhova hitting a 3-pointer to tie the game at 66 with 1:03 remaining. Senior forward Tiffany Conor’s free throws gave USF a three-point lead with 14 seconds left, and the game ended with the Bulls pulling out the win 71-70.
The season ended with the Bulls losing in overtime to the Golden Bears.
As the season ended, Bulls guard Andrea Smith wasdrafted by the Connecticut Sun in the third round of the WNBA draft.
With Smith off to the pros and seven other seniors that USF will be missing going into next season, the event, which is set to begin at 2 p.m., can help this Bulls squad end the semester on a high note.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- As USF football surges forward, winless UCF hobbles toward finish line
- USF men's basketball tops Albany for first win of season
- USF professor goes viral for comments on friend requests
- Tampa sees rise in income inequality
- Yogurt, the front-line defense against Type 1 diabetes?
- USF’s new policy not in employees’ best interest
- Open mic discusses impact of suicide
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- The INs and OUTs of a Hospital Stay
- The Movie Studio Reveals New Opportunities for Indie...
- Brighten Your Holidays With LED Lights
- Tell Congress to Protect Paper Investor Reports
- Climb Stairs Without Hurting Yourself
- Is Your Baby Ready for Chewing?
- Millennials Are Determined to Lessen Their Kids' College...
- Organizar Un Maratón De La Película Star...
- Know Your Drug Costs Before You Leave the Doctor's Office
- Shopping for a New Sofa? Keep These Design Tips in Mind