Bulls to be honored by mayor
The USF women’s basketball team will be honored by Tampa Mayor Bob Buckhorn on Friday at the mayor’s office.
Buckhorn will recognize the Bulls for their run in the NCAA Tournament.
The Bulls (22-11, 9-7) made the tournament for the first time since 2006, entering as the No. 10 seed, and saw their first tournament win, defeating No. 7 Texas Tech University in the opening round before losing in overtime to No. 6 seed, the California Golden Bears.
Along with members of the team, the coaching staff will be there as Buckhorn delivers a proclamation and will award the team with certificate of achievements.
USF’s historic season began with the team winning eight straight wins before losing to the Nebraska Huskers, a Top 25 team at the time, at home.It continued with the Bulls defeating another ranked team, No. 12 Louisville, on the road and Syracuse at home.
Then, in the first round of the NCAA Tournament, USF stunned the Red Raiders with junior guard Inga Orekhova hitting a 3-pointer to tie the game at 66 with 1:03 remaining. Senior forward Tiffany Conor’s free throws gave USF a three-point lead with 14 seconds left, and the game ended with the Bulls pulling out the win 71-70.
The season ended with the Bulls losing in overtime to the Golden Bears.
As the season ended, Bulls guard Andrea Smith wasdrafted by the Connecticut Sun in the third round of the WNBA draft.
With Smith off to the pros and seven other seniors that USF will be missing going into next season, the event, which is set to begin at 2 p.m., can help this Bulls squad end the semester on a high note.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- The Prenatal Vitamin Your Mom Wishes She Had
- Help Find the Best Cancer Treatments for Kids
- Are You Eating Enough Vegetables a Day?
- Encryption Technology for Your Privacy
- Get to Know Sarcoidosis: A Complex, Misunderstood Disease
- What Is Million?
- Sugar Gliders, Pangolins & Foxes, Oh My! New Novel...
- Mom Knows Best: Even When Buying a Mother's Day Gift
- What the H? Rhum Finally Arrives to the Cocktail Party
- Study Finds Boomers Are Sinking Their Teeth Into Looking...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- American Cancer Society and CVS Health Launch Bold Initiative to Help
- Course Hero Launches New Android App to Help Students Study Anywhere
- Ready for summer? Your next move can save you money, on self storage.
- GSK to Host "Rowing & Cycling Challenge" on World Meningitis Day
- Read the groundbreaking new book from Jeff Selingo, THERE IS LIFE AFTER COLLEGE