Bulls to be honored by mayor
The USF women’s basketball team will be honored by Tampa Mayor Bob Buckhorn on Friday at the mayor’s office.
Buckhorn will recognize the Bulls for their run in the NCAA Tournament.
The Bulls (22-11, 9-7) made the tournament for the first time since 2006, entering as the No. 10 seed, and saw their first tournament win, defeating No. 7 Texas Tech University in the opening round before losing in overtime to No. 6 seed, the California Golden Bears.
Along with members of the team, the coaching staff will be there as Buckhorn delivers a proclamation and will award the team with certificate of achievements.
USF’s historic season began with the team winning eight straight wins before losing to the Nebraska Huskers, a Top 25 team at the time, at home.It continued with the Bulls defeating another ranked team, No. 12 Louisville, on the road and Syracuse at home.
Then, in the first round of the NCAA Tournament, USF stunned the Red Raiders with junior guard Inga Orekhova hitting a 3-pointer to tie the game at 66 with 1:03 remaining. Senior forward Tiffany Conor’s free throws gave USF a three-point lead with 14 seconds left, and the game ended with the Bulls pulling out the win 71-70.
The season ended with the Bulls losing in overtime to the Golden Bears.
As the season ended, Bulls guard Andrea Smith wasdrafted by the Connecticut Sun in the third round of the WNBA draft.
With Smith off to the pros and seven other seniors that USF will be missing going into next season, the event, which is set to begin at 2 p.m., can help this Bulls squad end the semester on a high note.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- USF assistant coach resigns amid NCAA investigation
- UP arrests Clearwater man for sexual battery
- A student-driven upgrade: USF Health expands to better serve its students
- USF student interns in Florida Everglades
- Pokemon conquer campus: The new app “Pokemon Go” allows students to get act...
- We’ll always have Tampa: Tampa Theatre hosts Summer Classics Series
- O’Neal’s Olympic bid falls short
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Driver Safety: New Tips for Road Trips
- What to Ask About the Medicines You Take
- Summer Is the Perfect Time to Catch Up on Some Reading
- There's At Least One Thing Americans Are Satisfied With
- What to Look for in a New House This Home Buying Season
- Is Your Eye Makeup Making You Sick? What You Need to Know
- Biotech Companies Are Still the "It" Stock to Have in...
- Give Seniors a Lift With Household Chores
- On the Brink: Africa Viewed As Growth Target for Telecom
- Protect Your Family With Encryption
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Higher Education Goes Solar to Charge Mobile Devices
- Course Hero Beats Donation Goal for Books for Africa
- Course Hero Receives 2016 Top Workplace Award from Bay Area News Group
- Citavi Offers Summer Thesis-Writing Toolkit for Graduate Students
- Course Hero Welcomes Dr. Arthur Levine to their Advisory Board