Bulls salvage weekend with win in Chicago
The USF volleyball team took to the road this weekend and faced another tough slate of games.
USF (6-8) emerged from the weekend with only a single win out of three games, beginning with losses to Northwestern and IUPUI on Friday evening.
The loss to Northwestern was USF’s third game taken to five sets this year, and the Bulls now have a 1-2 record five-set matches.
Saturday brought the Bulls better luck when they defeated Miami University in four sets behind a record-setting performance from sophomore Erin Fairs.
Fairs recorded 20 digs and 20 kills for the first time in her career and established a new career-high in kills at a time when USF needed a spark heading into conference play.
USF begins conference play with a 3-3 record at home, a 1-2 record as visitor and a 2-3 record on neutral courts.
While USF coach Courtney Draper and senior Andrea Rodriguez Gomez said the Bulls’ offensive errors have hurt them in a big way, the Bulls have been strong defensively through one month of play.
Draper’s recruitment of junior transfer middle-blocker Jennica Mullins has paid big dividends for USF defensively, evidenced by the Bulls leading the American Athletic Conference (AAC) in blocks per
set at 2.49.
Individually, Mullins is second in the conference with 1.08 blocks per set, while Gomez is first with 1.25 per set and Fairs is third in the conference with 4.32 digs per set.
Heading into conference play, the Bulls will look to build on these positives as well as improve on their errors, and a ninth place standing in service aces.
Last week, Draper said she has been preparing the Bulls specifically for conference play with a tough early schedule, and now the Bulls have a chance to put that preparation to the test.
USF will have the week to prepare for the AAC opener against local rivals UCF in Orlando on Friday at 8 p.m.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Despite losing record, Bulls sets sights on conference title
- Z Baked provides warm cookies on demand
- Addicted to Apple: a dire diagnosis for millennials
- USF partners with World Health Organization
- Speaker sees astronomy through historical lens
- Bulls aim to bounce back on homestand
- USF Oliver Gallery gets ‘Down and Dirty’
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership