Bulls picked to win the Big East
Picked to win the Big East and ranked No. 10 in the nation, the USF softball team has a lot to be confident about heading into this season, which starts with the USF-Wilson DeMarini Opening Day Tournament on Feb. 8 against Marshall.
While the softball team is young with only fourseniors on the team, losing five seniors from the previous season, a confidence boost could be useful but is unneeded from the team that made it to the college world series last season.
Though rankings look good on paper, especially heading into the season being ranked, in the long run they mean little, according to coach Ken Eriksen.
You dont pay attention to those, those are nice allocates, he said. "I think if you ask our players where their focus is being ranked No. 1 in the Big East, it doesnt faze them.
USF proved that by starting last year unranked, but by March 14 was No. 24 in the nation finishing the year at No. 19.
The Bulls will look to outdo their World Series run last year, but it will have to start at practice something that Eriksen will focus heavily on throughout the season.
There are a lot of things that stats say you need to improve on, but its about playing the game the right way 100 percent, he said. Im still looking for our first perfect practice of the year.
Awaiting opening day, practice is the only thing the Bulls can focus on, but a lingering thought for fans could be the teams reaction to losing the experience of five seniors.
Youre never going to replace the experience immediately,Eriksen said. But youre hoping over time that the maturation rate happens, and its a positive situation.
With the seniors gone and four new players, setting a lineup could prove to be difficult for such a young team. Eriksen seems to take that issue with a very simple philosophy by keeping the locker room level, making sure no one slacks off.
We dont have captains on this team, Eriksen said. We have one captain of the ship. Thats me. But Imholding the rudder andeveryone else isstroking like crazy, if I see this one person not stroking Ill put someone else in thatposition. ... Leadership is seen, not heard, so if you have everyplayer playing their best, giving100 percent effort, thatsadmired.
With all the rankings that could cloud any teams focus, Eriksen is approaching this season with what he describes as being cautiously optimistic.
Theyve gone from paying attention to the details, to committing to the details, and once you take that step, which is a big step for a young person, youve already beaten the odds, Eriksen said.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Author Yaa Gyasi shares her method of writing
- St. Pete Police looking for men alleged to have punched USF student
- USF hosts third annual Sports and Entertainment Analytics Conference
- USF baseball’s streak falls one short of record
- ‘Challenge of the perception’
- Local pub crawl mixes business and pleasure
- City needs to rethink answer to helping homeless
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Veteran Raises Capital Via Alternative Financing
- Stop Pests This Spring With These Safe, Simple Steps
- Have a Blast This Spring Break With These Must-Have...
- Seniors Find That Doing Good Is Good For You
- University Students Take Top Honors at CME Group's Annual...
- Telecom and Cloud Service Options Expand in Africa
- Depression Sufferers Find Hope With New Sound Technology
- Going With Your Gut -- Virtual Colonoscopy Simplifies...
- Entrepreneurs Provide TIPS! Monthly Yield Now Makes Sense
- Amid Opioid Abuse Crisis, Back Pain Sufferers Look to...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Applications Available for Phi Kappa Phi Student Leadership Summit
- GREEN AMERICA: ONE MILLION TREES COULD BE SAVED EACH YEAR IF UNIVERSITIES SWITCHED TO ONLY RECYCLED PAPER FOR ALUMNI MAGAZINES
- Deadline Approaching for the Phi Kappa Phi Fellowship Program
- Entries Are Open for 9th Annual SVG/NACDA College Sports Media Awards
- Investor Bitcoin Investment Plans Guarantee Zero Losses