Bulls’ overhaul continues with Mercurius
The USF men’s basketball team added another shooting guard to its 2014 signing class Saturday evening when Dinero Mercurius of Faith Baptist Christian School signed a national letter of intent.
The addition of Mercurius comes at a time of rapid change for the Bulls.
On Friday afternoon, guards Javontae Hawkins, Musa Abdul-Aleem and forward Zach LeDay announced their intentions to transfer before the start of next season. These three transfers, along with the transfer of Josh Heath and the graduating seniors means the Bulls will lose six players from last year’s roster.
USF’s other 2014 commit is shooting guard Troy Holston of Oldsmar Christian. Holston has been committed to the Bulls since August and has not wavered in
The two incoming shooting guards will now have more potential opportunities for playing time. Mercurius averaged 17 points and six assists last season.
“Dinero is the best shooter I’ve ever coached,” Faith Baptist coach Kenny Gillon said in a press release.“His work ethic is tremendous and his best years are ahead of him.”
These two incoming guards give the Bulls the depth they will lose from the transferring players. Along with depth, the newcomers will give the Bulls something that they lacked last season — outside shooting.
Both Mercurius and Holston are listed as strong shooters on scouting reports and could help USF improve from being the worst three-point shooting team in the AAC in 2012-2013.
There is still time for the Bulls’ roster to change as there are empty slots to fill, but as of now Mercurius and Holston are the only additions to next
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- 9 out of 10 Americans More Likely to Come to London...
- Meeting the Health Care Needs of Next-Generation Consumers
- Katy Perry Helps Support Teachers and Students
- The Great Divide: Balancing Travel and Protecting...
- What Would It Take to Get You to the Dentist?
- Say Cheese! How What You Eat Affects Your Smile
- Headed to the Dentist? Beware of Backflow
- Student Backpacks Are Literally a Big Pain
- Lighting Tips to Enhance Your Outdoor Living Space
- 4 Ways to Cut Your Energy Bills (5 If You're Up to It)