Bulls miss opportunity in UCF loss
The stage had been set, the lights were dimmed and the USF mens basketball team began its 2012-13
season in front of an initially raucous home crowd. The team, however, seemed unable to match the passion of its home crowd and wasted an opportunity to snatch a big win to start the year.
While there were the problems that were expected entering the season the Bulls were out-rebounded 45-26 there were also uncharacteristic issues. There were defensive struggles, with the Bulls allowing 74 points and 50 percent shooting from the field, and bad three-point shooting on offense as the team finished five-of-14 from behind the arc.
Were obviously very disappointed. We didnt play well, coach Stan Heath said. They beat us in areas that bother me. They dominated the glass. They got most of the loose balls, the effort plays....One of the things that never happened tonight was really getting that crowd engaged because we didnt play well, we didnt perform.
After a season in which the Bulls overcame a slow out-of-conference start to grab an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament, this season was tailor-made to avoid another slow start thanks to a favorable schedule and tougher opponents at home.
The Knights made sure a slow start was exactly what USF would get in 2012.
A 5-0 run to start the game was indicative of a rough first half that finished with USF facing a 16-point deficit in front of a crowd of 7,717 the largest non-conference game crowd the Bulls have seen since joining the Big East in 2005 that dwindled later in the game.
Though it is just the start of a long season, the Bulls will likely need as many resume-building wins as possible in non-conference play to lower pressure when entering the conference season, in which the Bulls may not be as fortunate as they were last season when the conference was weaker.
With an easier non-conference schedule comes fewer chances for quality wins. This is the case for the Bulls, who will likely have three more chances for big non-conference wins against Georgia and Oklahoma State, and a January rematch with the Knights.
The Bulls take the court again this weekend when they play three games in three nights at the USF Invitational against Maryland Eastern Shore, Loyola-Chicago and Western Michigan three winnable games that will likely get the team to 3-1.
With the Bulls likely to be battling for a spot in the NCAA Tournament late in the season, the team may come to regret a wasted opportunity on opening night that could leave it on the outside looking in at seasons end.
Additional reporting by Adam Fenster.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Author Yaa Gyasi shares her method of writing
- St. Pete Police looking for men alleged to have punched USF student
- USF hosts third annual Sports and Entertainment Analytics Conference
- USF baseball’s streak falls one short of record
- ‘Challenge of the perception’
- Local pub crawl mixes business and pleasure
- City needs to rethink answer to helping homeless
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Zulily Helps Moms Navigate the "Fourth Trimester" in Style
- Veteran Raises Capital Via Alternative Financing
- Stop Pests This Spring With These Safe, Simple Steps
- Have a Blast This Spring Break With These Must-Have...
- Seniors Find That Doing Good Is Good For You
- University Students Take Top Honors at CME Group's Annual...
- Telecom and Cloud Service Options Expand in Africa
- Depression Sufferers Find Hope With New Sound Technology
- Going With Your Gut -- Virtual Colonoscopy Simplifies...
- Entrepreneurs Provide TIPS! Monthly Yield Now Makes Sense
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Applications Available for Phi Kappa Phi Student Leadership Summit
- GREEN AMERICA: ONE MILLION TREES COULD BE SAVED EACH YEAR IF UNIVERSITIES SWITCHED TO ONLY RECYCLED PAPER FOR ALUMNI MAGAZINES
- Deadline Approaching for the Phi Kappa Phi Fellowship Program
- Entries Are Open for 9th Annual SVG/NACDA College Sports Media Awards
- Investor Bitcoin Investment Plans Guarantee Zero Losses