Bulls lose in blowout to No. 24 Marquette

By Adam Fenster, SPORTS EDITOR
On February 7, 2013

From the tipoff to the final buzzer, the Bulls (10-12, 1-9) proved to be no match forNo. 24 Marquette in the Sun Dome on Wednesday night.

The score said it all when USF fell to the Golden Eagles (15-5, 7-2) for a second time this season in a disappointing 70-47 loss for the Bulls.

We just got to find a way to be ourselves, be a little tougher, a little bit more efficient on the offensive end and not put our heads down when things go wrong, coach Stan Heath said.

Though it wasnt Marquettes junior guard Vander Blue who exposed the Bulls defense this time around, it was business as usual for the Golden Eagles as a whole, who continued itsshooting success from the last meeting with USF whenMarquette won, 63-50.

As Marquette looked unstoppable through the crowds roaring boos in reaction to a few calls not going USFS way early on, the Bulls didnt help the cause.

Those few calls by the referees early in the game soon turned into more than just a few. USF racked up 10 personal fouls in the first half.Ten minutes into the game the Bulls had more turnovers than they did attempts from the field, which showed that their aggressive style of play wasnt working out.

I think part of it was being overly aggressive, senior forward Toarlyn Fitzpatrick said. They play really aggressive, so we tried to play aggressive.

By the end of the first halfa half that featured an early blowout as USF was down 39-16the Bulls managed to put up 18 attempts from the field shooting for 27 percent. USF turned the ball over 14 times by halftime.

We dug ourselves a bad hole in the first half. Once they got out to that lead it was hard to overcome, Heath said. Theyre a good basketball team.

Giving the ball over to a team that was shooting 50 from beyond the arch and 53 percent from the field may have not been the best course of action for a USF team that was seeking redemption after the initial loss to Marquette two games ago.

But USF seemed to patch things up at halftime.

In the second half, the Bulls only gave the ball away five times which allowed USF to shoot more from the field.

Though the three-point range wasnt working out well for a Bulls team that shot seven percent from deep in the second half, USF did manage went 38 percent from the field, matching Marquettes 31 points.

But the fix was too late.

Marquette was way out in front, and by the end of the game the court consisted of freshman center Jordan Omogbehin, freshmen guard JaVontae Hawkins and forward Zach LeDay, walk-on senior guard Mike McCloskey and an unnamed walk-on.

With that line up on the court, it was clear to any fans left in the Sun Dome the game was over and they were right.

The Bulls will playVillanova this Saturday at 3 p.m. and will try to bounce back.