Bulls look to stay right on track
With eight wins in its last 10 games, the USF volleyball team is two wins from its 2011 season total at 10-7 a production level that coach Courtney Draper said she expected.
I think were really right on track, she said. Were probably about on target. The first couple of weeks can be frustrating with all the new lineups trying to get cohesiveness and chemistry takes some time. I think itll continue to get better.
After finishing ninth in the Big East and missing out on the conference tournament by one spot in 2011, the Bulls are in seventh place with a 2-2 record almost a third of the way through their Big East schedule.
A large part of the teams early success has been the play of its freshmen, especially outside hitter Erin Fairs. Fairs was named to the Big East weekly honor roll this week for picking up two double-doubles in USFs weekend split against Cincinnati and No. 17 Louisville.
Draper said the maturity of Fairs has been invaluable for the team.
We joke with the coaching staff that shes quickly becoming a sophomore, Draper said. Theyre going to make mistakes and errors because of the lack of experience, but shes been really coming along quick. We see big things for her in the future.
Fairs and the Bulls will return to the road to play at Syracuse on Friday at noon and at Marquette on Sunday at 3 p.m., before returning to Tampa for a four-game home stand.
Womens Soccer goes back on road
With three overtime matches in its last three outings, the USF womens soccer team has been channeling the dramatics of 2011, when the team played nine matches that went into overtime.
The Bulls amassed a 2-1-2 record through five Big East games, and are at third place in the American
Division averaging 1.6 points per game.
This weekend, USF (6-4-2, 2-1-2) will take on the two teams closest to it in the divisional standings in Connecticut (7-5-1, 3-3) and Providence (8-5-1, 3-3).
Both the Huskies and Friars have nine points this season one more than the Bulls but USF has a 0.1 advantage in points per game, with both teams having played six Big East games to USFs five. The top five teams in each division advance to the Big East Tournament.
USF first heads to Storrs, where it will take on Connecticut on Friday at 7 p.m. and will close out the weekend in Providence against the Friars on Sunday at 1 p.m. The Bulls return home for their final two home games of the season next weekend.
Basketball gets another key recruit
Two days after getting a commitment from point guard Josh Heath, the USF mens basketball team picked up another commitment this time from a local center.
Three-star recruit Chris Perry. listed as both a forward and a center, announced his commitment following his official visit over the weekend. He joins point guards Heath and Drew Davis, and center John Egbunu in USFs 2013 recruting class.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Tampa continues to tackle public transportation issue
- Oracle sports staff tackles NFL mock drafts
- Men's golf conference champs for third straight year
- SG plans scream event to help relieve stress before finals
- USF baseball's biggest enemy: its own schedule
- Dismissed Duke players land at USF
- Philosopher discusses safe education and a polarized country
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Streaming Content Box Cuts Your Cable and Costs
- Non-Profit Venture Fund Seeks to Support The American Dream
- Sustained Happiness Starts from Within
- Reverse Mortgages Benefit Younger Seniors
- Sunshine State Shining New Light on the Banking Industry
- Honoring Moms : How 3 Inspiring Women are Changing the World
- Look Before You Buy: Virtual Reality Comes to Home...
- Olympic Power Couple Teams Up to Fight Blood Cancers with...
- Two Meals in One: Arborio Rice, Perfect for Risotto &...
- New Nighttime Grind Guard Relieves Jaw Pain
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- American U. professor predicts Trump will be impeached in new book
- Comic Book and Sports Card Show
- A Harvard Dean's 5 Essential Questions for Success
- COLLEGE STUDENTS: DO THESE THREE THINGS THIS SUMMER TO BOOST YOUR FINANCES
- Annual PepsiCo/SWE Student Engineering Challenge Gives Undergraduates Real-World Engineering Practicum