Bulls look to stay right on track
With eight wins in its last 10 games, the USF volleyball team is two wins from its 2011 season total at 10-7 a production level that coach Courtney Draper said she expected.
I think were really right on track, she said. Were probably about on target. The first couple of weeks can be frustrating with all the new lineups trying to get cohesiveness and chemistry takes some time. I think itll continue to get better.
After finishing ninth in the Big East and missing out on the conference tournament by one spot in 2011, the Bulls are in seventh place with a 2-2 record almost a third of the way through their Big East schedule.
A large part of the teams early success has been the play of its freshmen, especially outside hitter Erin Fairs. Fairs was named to the Big East weekly honor roll this week for picking up two double-doubles in USFs weekend split against Cincinnati and No. 17 Louisville.
Draper said the maturity of Fairs has been invaluable for the team.
We joke with the coaching staff that shes quickly becoming a sophomore, Draper said. Theyre going to make mistakes and errors because of the lack of experience, but shes been really coming along quick. We see big things for her in the future.
Fairs and the Bulls will return to the road to play at Syracuse on Friday at noon and at Marquette on Sunday at 3 p.m., before returning to Tampa for a four-game home stand.
Womens Soccer goes back on road
With three overtime matches in its last three outings, the USF womens soccer team has been channeling the dramatics of 2011, when the team played nine matches that went into overtime.
The Bulls amassed a 2-1-2 record through five Big East games, and are at third place in the American
Division averaging 1.6 points per game.
This weekend, USF (6-4-2, 2-1-2) will take on the two teams closest to it in the divisional standings in Connecticut (7-5-1, 3-3) and Providence (8-5-1, 3-3).
Both the Huskies and Friars have nine points this season one more than the Bulls but USF has a 0.1 advantage in points per game, with both teams having played six Big East games to USFs five. The top five teams in each division advance to the Big East Tournament.
USF first heads to Storrs, where it will take on Connecticut on Friday at 7 p.m. and will close out the weekend in Providence against the Friars on Sunday at 1 p.m. The Bulls return home for their final two home games of the season next weekend.
Basketball gets another key recruit
Two days after getting a commitment from point guard Josh Heath, the USF mens basketball team picked up another commitment this time from a local center.
Three-star recruit Chris Perry. listed as both a forward and a center, announced his commitment following his official visit over the weekend. He joins point guards Heath and Drew Davis, and center John Egbunu in USFs 2013 recruting class.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Busch Gardens lines up to be the latest hated theme park
- Rise and shine: The awakening of USF’s sleeping giant
- Lightning’s Student Rush program continues to grow
- A look at the 2016-17 A&S budget
- Path to preeminence prompts office integration
- It’s time colleges reform their application process
- Freshman pitcher finds his stride in the bullpen
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Get Involved in Preventing Mosquitoes
- Preparing 21st Century Enterprises for Success in the...
- 7 Questions to Ask Before Hiring Your Wedding Photographer
- Tips for Seniors Who Suffer From Muscle Aches and Pains
- A Safer Alternative to Opioids for Treating Chronic Pain
- How Brand Marketers Drive Lift in Loyalty, Reach
- A New Way to Deal With Dry Mouth
- Tamera Mowry-Housley Encourages Parents to Reclaim Family...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Course Hero Welcomes Dr. Arthur Levine to their Advisory Board
- LendEDU 2016 College Students and Personal Finance Study
- FINALS SUCK: JOLLY RANCHER CANDY EMBRACES THE LONGEST, SUCKIEST WEEK OF COLLEGE
- Facebook & America East To Keynote College Sports Summit, June 1-3, GA
- Sodexo Reveals The 20ish Under 20ish Hunger Squad For 2016