Bulls host UCF with four games left in regular season
Tonight, USF will welcome the UCF Knights to Corbett Soccer Stadium for a 7:30 kickoff as the Bulls look to break out of a draw-laden season and continue dominance against the Knights.
UCF (5-4-4, 2-1-2), led by sophomore Romario Williams and seventh-year coach Bryan Cunningham, will step on the Corbett Stadium grass at third place in the American Athletic Conference (AAC), carrying a five-match losing streak against the Bulls and 14 losses in the last 15 matches between the two universities.
Though USF (4-2-7, 1-1-3) has been historically successful against the Knights, the Bulls are coming off their third consecutive draw, for a total of seven this season, and sit in sixth place in the conference.
Despite the lack of wins, the Bulls haven’t lost since Oct. 5, having a four-game unbeaten streak. USF is also tied with AAC first and second-place squads, No. 8 Louisville and UConn in the loss column. All three schools have just two losses this season, which makes USF one of 17 schools in Division I with two losses or less.
Unfortunately for the Bulls, who have four wins total and one in conference play, the school record of seven draws is holding the team back in the AAC standings. With four wins, the Bulls are tied for second to last of the nine AAC teams.
Coach George Kiefer has continued to speak positively of the team’s effort and execution in recent weeks amid the abnormal amount of draws. The veteran coach said if the Bulls continue to bring the same effort, the USF wins will start to tally up.
Time is of the essence though, as USF has just four matches remaining before the AAC tournament — three of which are conference matches. After three home matches against UCF, SMU and non-conference Detroit Mercy, USF will head to Louisville for the regular season finale.
USF is sitting at 82nd in the NCAA RPI rankings, and will need to come out with wins instead of draws down the stretch if they hope to find a place in the 48-team NCAA tournament starting Nov. 21. UCF is in a similar boat, sitting at 75th place.
Though the win column doesn’t show it, USF is one of the better scoring teams in the conference, currently ranking third in the AAC in goals (17) and scoring average (1.308).
USF has outscored opponents 9-3 in the second half this year, but will need to start fast in remaining matches if they hope to get on the winning track.
Also ranking third in the conference is senior goalkeeper Brentton Muhammad with a .808 save percentage, who has only allowed three goals in the past four
Muhammad and the Bulls will need to slow down Williams, who leads the AAC with seven goals and is tied for first in points (16), in hopes of getting a win before Saturday’s home match with SMU at 7:30 p.m.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- When It Comes to Winter Roof Checkups, the Attic Is Your...
- Is It Time to Sell Your Structured Settlement for Cash?
- Pest Proof Now to Protect Homes for Winter
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections