Bulls find running game in loss to FSU
Though the Bulls havent been able to improve their performance in the win column during the last three weeks, the teams running game has shown marked advancements despite tough opposition.
Against the No. 3 Seminoles, who came into the game boasting the second-ranked total defense and fifth-ranked rush defense in the nation, the Bulls established the two-back system of seniors Demetris Murray and Lindsey Lamar early in the game, controlling the clock and outgaining the Seminoles in the first quarter 144 to 85 including 82 yards on the ground.
Early in the game we had some different wrinkles, I guess you could call them, in the running game, offensive coordinator Todd Fitch said. We had some success in the early couple of drives. They closed it down a little bit as the game went on, but it helped us move the ball a little better and sustain some drives.
Fitch credited the strong play of his offensive line, which had been maligned for some of its performances earlier in the season, including losses to Rutgers and Ball State.
The pad level of our guys was very good up front, he said. And as we came out of the locker room in the second half, I think the offensive line and the backs did a good job creating a rhythm.
Senior guard Danous Estenor, one of three seniors starting on the offensive line, said the team recovered from a slow start caused by changes in the teams starting lineup.
We werent really sure what we would get from the starting unit early in the season, he said. So the motto for this week was to just get off the ball and hit whatever is in front of you, and that helped us succeed.
After the strong start in the first quarter, the Bulls were limited to 43 rushing yards in the final three quarters. Coach Skip Holtz said the Seminole defense deserved credit for stopping USF.
I thought in the first half, the offensive line came off the ball, we were able to create a game plan and run the ball, he said. The difference was that in the second half, when they brought an extra man into the box and tried to outnumber us, we couldnt beat them with our passing game in man coverage.
Murray said the Seminoles attention to USFs running game proved the success the team had on the ground.
I told the guys after the game that, even though theyre the No. 4 team in the country, they had to put an extra man in the box to stop the running game, he said. Which I think is a positive. Our running game and offensive line did a good job, and thats something you can hang your hat on.
If the Bulls are able to consistently run the ball in Big East play which continues this Saturday when the Bulls welcome Temple back into the Big East for the Owls first Big East game since 2005 they may be able to throw the ball down the field thanks to more attention from safeties.
For the teams passing game to get back on track, it will look to get the ball to sophomore receiver Andre Davis, who has been limited to 11 catches for 108 yards and one score in three games since setting a school record with 12 catches for 191 yards and two touchdowns in USFs 32-31 win over Nevada on Sept 8.
Its really big to be able to run the ball, because we have a lot of decent running backs, Davis said. So its encouraging to see them get going and maybe it can open up everything else (on offense).
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- AAC Player of the Year removed from USF softball
- Ethics committee opens investigation of SG president
- Student bands get chance for the big stage
- First all-ticket presidential debate brings calls for change
- The threat of empty promises
- Bulls enter critical final stretch
- Tampa design firm urges city to play
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Protecting Seniors Online from Scams, Hacks and Tax Fraud
- Rehydrating for Optimal Health
- Five Reasons You Need Cell Phone Insurance Now
- The One Super Bowl Fact You Still May Not Know
- Companies Are Discovering That Pittsburgh Is Good for...
- Millennials Go House Hunting, and Here's What They Crave
- Estate Plans: You're Not Doing Anyone a Favor by Avoiding...
- What Would You Have to Give Up to Pay for An Unexpected...
- Four Tips to Keep Your Kids' Teeth Healthy And Clean
- Local Community Newspapers Go Digital
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- N. American Effie Awards Announces 2017 Collegiate Effie Competition
- Students Increasingly Turn To GoFundMe To Pay For College
- O2 BARS: LATEST RAGE AT COLLEGE DE-STRESS, SOCIAL, & WELLNESS EVENTS
- Deadline Approaching for Phi Kappa Phi Study Abroad Grants
- ESA Foundation launches 2017-18 Scholarship Program