Bulls fall short late once again
USF had its chance to drive down the field for a season-altering victory with 3:49 remaining in the game and 68 yards from the end zone. But the result was a blocked field goal.
For the third time in four losses, the USF football team was unable to close out strong for a victory on Saturday against Temple. The latest loss, 38-27 to the Owls, has the Bulls on a four-game skid entering their off week.
After a back-and-forth second half in Philadelphia, in which a 9-7 halftime score turned into a 30-28 loss with just under four minutes left in the fourth quarter, the Bulls took the field with two timeouts and a chance to win the game with a score.
Boosted by a roughing the passer call after an incompletion on fourth and five, the Bulls faced a third and one with just over a minute remaining from the Temple 23-yard line. A first down, and the team could have virtually run out the clock and kicked a chip shot field goal to win the game and put the Bulls at 1-1 in Big East play with the bye week upcoming.
Senior quarterback B.J. Daniels limited to six rushing yards because of an ankle injury handed off to senior Demetris Murray, who was dropped for a 5-yard loss. After a Temple timeout, senior Maikon Bonani attempted a 45-yard field goal, which was blocked, sending USF to its fourth straight loss.
We had an inside play called initially. We had been having some success up the middle, coach Skip Holtz said. But coach (Todd) Fitch mentioned going to the outside, which I thought was a great idea, but we didnt execute it. I dont think it was the play call as much as it was executing the play.
Regardless of the blame, the game was another in a string of late losses for the Bulls. This season, the Bulls had the ball with a chance to take the lead against both Rutgers and Ball State, but ultimately fell short. In 2011, USF was unable to cash in on late drives against both Connecticut and West Virginia.
It seems like we are in a Groundhog Day event almost, Holtz said. The team continued to compete and even had a chance to kick a game-winning field goal right at the end. But it seems like we keep making mistakes that have us beat.
Senior linebacker Mike Lanaris said he was confident the offense would be able to come through after the defense forced a three-and-out prior to USFs late drive.
There was a really good vibe on the sideline, he said. Cause the defense had done what it was supposed to do in that situation, even though there were times earlier where we didnt. I had all the confidence in the world in our offense and they just fell short.
Just fell short has become a mantra for late losses by the USF football team, a mantra the team is looking to separate itself from. After a week off, the Bulls will head to Kentucky to take on Big East favorite Louisville, and will look to avoid the teams second consecutive 0-3 conference start.
Its tough, its still heavy in our hearts, senior running back Lindsey Lamar said. Temple was a great team, they made the plays when they had to make them, and it hurts worse because of how badly we wanted this win.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Laksa refuses to be defined by age; instead it drives her.
- USF football is bowl bound, but where will it land?
- World unites to save environment
- Sleep disorders common on college campuses
- Apps bring banking to phones, millennials
- Love remains after Antigua-Calipari reunion
- USF rolls past rival UCF, but is denied spot in AAC title game
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Oleg Frish's Dream Comes True With New Duets Album
- The INs and OUTs of a Hospital Stay
- The Movie Studio Reveals New Opportunities for Indie...
- Brighten Your Holidays With LED Lights
- Tell Congress to Protect Paper Investor Reports
- Climb Stairs Without Hurting Yourself
- Is Your Baby Ready for Chewing?
- Millennials Are Determined to Lessen Their Kids' College...
- Organizar Un Maratón De La Película Star...
- Know Your Drug Costs Before You Leave the Doctor's Office
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Knowledge Gaps in Vaccination Against Meningococcal Disease
- Five Easy Steps to Own Holiday Shopping on a Budget
- CSUN Secular Student Alliance holds their first meeting
- Application Deadline Near for $100,000 Excellence in Innovation Award
- Voto Latino to Host Event on Climate Change Challenges & Opportunities