Bulls extend Big East lead with win over UL
After an impressive comeback at Syracuse, the No. 8 USF men's soccer team (10-2-2, 5-0-1) rolled past No. 13 Louisville in front of a national television audience Tuesday night.
An early goal by junior Kevin Olali in the second minute gave the Bulls momentum and took the raucous home crowd completely out of the game. An attempted clear off Cardinals defender Austin Berry's head was popped into the air and Olali collected it, took one touch and finished for the early advantage.
The Cardinals (8-5-1, 1-4-1) spent the rest of the first half hurting themselves, starting in the 13th minute, after senior goalkeeper Andre Boudreaux made an excellent save on a Leston Paul shot, setting the Bulls up with a corner kick. Freshman Wesley Charpie took the kick, and a shot by junior Ashani Fairclough deflected off a Louisville defender for an own goal, doubling the USF lead.
This was followed by a second gaffe by a Louisville defender, when Kenney Walker missed a slide tackle and tipped in a third goal, giving the Bulls an insurmountable 3-0 lead going into the half.
"A lot of teams come to Louisville, go into a shell and try to hang on," USF coach George Kiefer said. "We wanted to take a different approach and we wanted to take the game to them. We wanted to be the aggressor and I thought we did a good job of that."
Louisville's Nick DeLeon scored a penalty kick in the 60th minute for the final 3-1 margin.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Campus dining caters to vegans
- Lecture shines light on human trafficking
- Three-star recruit flips from Utah to USF
- Weber continues high school success with Bulls
- Death penalty should at least be painless if still around
- Fallen Bulls remembered by loved ones at memorial service
- USF given $5M to plan downtown med school
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Give Your Kitchen a New Look With a Lighting Update
- Garden Project Spreads Its Roots in Urban Areas
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
- How to Be More Productive During Your Business Flights
- It's Never too Late to Start Living Healthy
- Revive tus objetivos de verte saludable en 2015
- Debunking Common Tax-Filing Myths
- With Help From Chile, Blueberries Stay Fresh All Winter
- Small Fixtures Make a Big Design Impact
- Keeping the Workplace in Proper Alignment
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- ASCO Numatics Announces 2015 Industrial Automation Engineering Scholarships
- Coffee Club Goes Viral With Members Earning Free Starbucks Cards
- UniversitySpot.com Introduces Extensive, Curated List of Free Online Courses for Winter 2015
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World