Bulls extend Big East lead with win over UL
After an impressive comeback at Syracuse, the No. 8 USF men's soccer team (10-2-2, 5-0-1) rolled past No. 13 Louisville in front of a national television audience Tuesday night.
An early goal by junior Kevin Olali in the second minute gave the Bulls momentum and took the raucous home crowd completely out of the game. An attempted clear off Cardinals defender Austin Berry's head was popped into the air and Olali collected it, took one touch and finished for the early advantage.
The Cardinals (8-5-1, 1-4-1) spent the rest of the first half hurting themselves, starting in the 13th minute, after senior goalkeeper Andre Boudreaux made an excellent save on a Leston Paul shot, setting the Bulls up with a corner kick. Freshman Wesley Charpie took the kick, and a shot by junior Ashani Fairclough deflected off a Louisville defender for an own goal, doubling the USF lead.
This was followed by a second gaffe by a Louisville defender, when Kenney Walker missed a slide tackle and tipped in a third goal, giving the Bulls an insurmountable 3-0 lead going into the half.
"A lot of teams come to Louisville, go into a shell and try to hang on," USF coach George Kiefer said. "We wanted to take a different approach and we wanted to take the game to them. We wanted to be the aggressor and I thought we did a good job of that."
Louisville's Nick DeLeon scored a penalty kick in the 60th minute for the final 3-1 margin.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Quinton Flowers wins AAC Offensive Player of the Year
- BOT formally approves Genshaft bonus
- Top 10 moments of the fall semester
- Netflix: No Wi-Fi needed
- USF Health Services sees spike in clients as exams near
- USF System President Genshaft up for performance-based stipend
- USF students reflect on fall semester
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Got Tech Neck? Here's Some Advice.
- Three Simple Swaps for a Healthier Lunch
- Epilepsy Awareness Day 2016 Largest Turnout Ever
- Give the Gift of Connectivity, Without the Stress
- New Cancer Treatment Continues to Progress By Filing for...
- How Many Years Does it Take to Become a Doctor of...
- Many Working Mothers Can't Afford Their Health Insurance...
- A Date with Destiny: Video Games Teach Kids Life Lessons
- The Magic Number for Millennials: $51,000
- A New Read on Literacy: The 3 Keys to Building Lifelong...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- PEPSICO AND 21ST CENTURY FOX ANNOUNCE "THE SEARCH FOR HIDDEN FIGURES"
- The Most Popular Entry-Level Jobs and Companies for College Graduates
- National Meningitis Association Urges Students to take Pledge2Prevent
- American Cancer Society and CVS Health Foundation Award Grants to Help 20 Colleges and Universities Go Tobacco-Free in Largest Initiative of Its Kind
- BPU Offers Sentiment Analysis Free to Universities