Bulls extend Big East lead with win over UL
After an impressive comeback at Syracuse, the No. 8 USF men's soccer team (10-2-2, 5-0-1) rolled past No. 13 Louisville in front of a national television audience Tuesday night.
An early goal by junior Kevin Olali in the second minute gave the Bulls momentum and took the raucous home crowd completely out of the game. An attempted clear off Cardinals defender Austin Berry's head was popped into the air and Olali collected it, took one touch and finished for the early advantage.
The Cardinals (8-5-1, 1-4-1) spent the rest of the first half hurting themselves, starting in the 13th minute, after senior goalkeeper Andre Boudreaux made an excellent save on a Leston Paul shot, setting the Bulls up with a corner kick. Freshman Wesley Charpie took the kick, and a shot by junior Ashani Fairclough deflected off a Louisville defender for an own goal, doubling the USF lead.
This was followed by a second gaffe by a Louisville defender, when Kenney Walker missed a slide tackle and tipped in a third goal, giving the Bulls an insurmountable 3-0 lead going into the half.
"A lot of teams come to Louisville, go into a shell and try to hang on," USF coach George Kiefer said. "We wanted to take a different approach and we wanted to take the game to them. We wanted to be the aggressor and I thought we did a good job of that."
Louisville's Nick DeLeon scored a penalty kick in the 60th minute for the final 3-1 margin.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- ULS brings interactive photo experience for next event
- Soscia pushes for increased diversity within SG
- Kheireddine ‘understands the student experience’
- The Academy needs to draw the line on immoral deeds
- Bulls’ airport fiasco highlights issues with program
- USF completes four-game sweep with nine-run win
- Fourth Friday celebrates first anniversary
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Protecting Seniors Online from Scams, Hacks and Tax Fraud
- Rehydrating for Optimal Health
- Five Reasons You Need Cell Phone Insurance Now
- The One Super Bowl Fact You Still May Not Know
- Companies Are Discovering That Pittsburgh Is Good for...
- Millennials Go House Hunting, and Here's What They Crave
- Estate Plans: You're Not Doing Anyone a Favor by Avoiding...
- What Would You Have to Give Up to Pay for An Unexpected...
- Four Tips to Keep Your Kids' Teeth Healthy And Clean
- Local Community Newspapers Go Digital
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- N. American Effie Awards Announces 2017 Collegiate Effie Competition
- Students Increasingly Turn To GoFundMe To Pay For College
- O2 BARS: LATEST RAGE AT COLLEGE DE-STRESS, SOCIAL, & WELLNESS EVENTS
- Deadline Approaching for Phi Kappa Phi Study Abroad Grants
- ESA Foundation launches 2017-18 Scholarship Program