Bulls extend Big East lead with win over UL
After an impressive comeback at Syracuse, the No. 8 USF men's soccer team (10-2-2, 5-0-1) rolled past No. 13 Louisville in front of a national television audience Tuesday night.
An early goal by junior Kevin Olali in the second minute gave the Bulls momentum and took the raucous home crowd completely out of the game. An attempted clear off Cardinals defender Austin Berry's head was popped into the air and Olali collected it, took one touch and finished for the early advantage.
The Cardinals (8-5-1, 1-4-1) spent the rest of the first half hurting themselves, starting in the 13th minute, after senior goalkeeper Andre Boudreaux made an excellent save on a Leston Paul shot, setting the Bulls up with a corner kick. Freshman Wesley Charpie took the kick, and a shot by junior Ashani Fairclough deflected off a Louisville defender for an own goal, doubling the USF lead.
This was followed by a second gaffe by a Louisville defender, when Kenney Walker missed a slide tackle and tipped in a third goal, giving the Bulls an insurmountable 3-0 lead going into the half.
"A lot of teams come to Louisville, go into a shell and try to hang on," USF coach George Kiefer said. "We wanted to take a different approach and we wanted to take the game to them. We wanted to be the aggressor and I thought we did a good job of that."
Louisville's Nick DeLeon scored a penalty kick in the 60th minute for the final 3-1 margin.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Fernandez reaches 300 win plateau in 30-point win
- Students plan protest for Inauguration Day
- Sexual harassment lawsuit involving USF professor settled
- The division of Black Lives Matter
- Ways to find internships before graduation
- EDITORIAL: No nostalgia spared for end of Ringling Bros. circus
- Healthcare: A right that cannot be gambled with
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Top Tips for Timely Performance Driving
- Wellness Program Rewards Healthy New Year's Goals
- New Medical Supplement Offers Advance in Bladder Control
- Get An Edge on College Prep Tests
- Noodles to the Rescue: Make Dinner In a Snap
- Student Athletes Emulate the Pros in Abusing Prescription...
- Specialized Firefighter Training Helps Save Farmers' Lives
- One New Year's Resolution You Don't Have to Keep to Be a...
- Reverse Mortgage Can Help With Retirement Planning
- How to Protect Your Data in a Connected World
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College Students Head Back to Campus with Amazon Prime Student
- Phi Kappa Phi 2017 Award Programs Now Open
- MAX FROST RELEASES NEW VIDEO FOR INFECTIOUS TRACK "ADDERALL"
- PEPSICO AND 21ST CENTURY FOX ANNOUNCE "THE SEARCH FOR HIDDEN FIGURES"
- The Most Popular Entry-Level Jobs and Companies for College Graduates