Bulls capture UCF Invitational title
After a disappointing showing last week, the USF volleyball team was able to take its intensity to a different level and complete an unbeaten weekend at the UCF Invitational. The Bulls beat both FAU and UNC-Greensboro by a score of 3-0 before beating UCF by a score of 3-1.
After earning its first win of the season last week against Bethune-Cookman, the Bulls' (4-5) volleyball team appeared to be hungry for more wins.
The Bulls were led by freshman Valerie El Houssine with 13 kills, while Shelbie Dailey led the stat sheet with 26 assists. Janice Rivera contributed 13 digs for the Bulls.
The victory came with a superior defensive show. The Bulls established their largest margin of victory in a single game this season by holding FAU to under 20 points in all three sets, winning 3-0 (25-11, 25-13, 25-18).
Using the same game plan, USF was able to continue its dominance in its first match Sunday, earning a sweep over UNC-Greensboro (4-7) by a score of 3-0 (31-29, 25-20, 25-16).
El Houssine extended a streak of her own by leading the Bulls in kills with 17 and earned Most Valuable Player honors for the tournament.
"I am so proud of her and her much-improved consistency," coach Claire Lessinger said. "She had a breakout weekend. She played well from an offensive and defensive standpoint."
With the Bulls picking up a rhythm, slowing down was not an option as they shut down a high-powered UCF (8-2) team to finish the tournament, winning 3-1 (11-25, 26-24, 27-25, 25-21).
"It was all about finding our rhythm," Lessinger said. "We were put in the same situations as last week but this time we were focused and came out on the other side."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- When It Comes to Winter Roof Checkups, the Attic Is Your...
- Is It Time to Sell Your Structured Settlement for Cash?
- Pest Proof Now to Protect Homes for Winter
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections