Bulls blownout by Cardinals, again
History is said to repeat itself, and for the USF men’s basketball team it happened in the span of almost a month.
USF traveled to No. 11 Louisville for its second and last regular season matchup with the Cardinals on Tuesday night, and the Bulls experienced similar results to the last time they met up this season.
The Bulls didn’t lose by 39 this time, but they never led in the 26-point loss, which had few bright spots in the 80-54 game, marking USF’s fourth loss in a row.
The only player to reach double-digits in scoring, the only bright spot, was senior forward Victor Rudd, who contributed 27 points, half of the Bulls’ total, along with
Aside from Rudd, the Bulls’ offense struggled to keep pace with Louisville.
Three-point shooting was one of the biggest struggles.
USF is last in the American Athletic Conference (AAC) in three-point shooting. In Kentucky the Bulls only made one of their 10 attempts.
Aside from the struggles beyond the arc, USF (12-15, 3-11) shot 60 percent on two-point field goals. Despite this success, Louisville was able to overwhelm the Bulls due to their larger volume of shots.
The Cardinals took 71 attempts compared to the Bulls’ 45. This large margin was aided by the 12 fewer turnovers and 11 more offensive rebounds Louisville recorded.
Senior guard Russ Smith, who scored 19 points in 30 minutes, led Louisville. Unlike the Bulls, the Cardinals (22-4, 11-2) were able to spread their scoring output, with four players scoring at least 13 points.
USF will have eight days off to prepare for UConn, which will be the Bulls’ longest break in over two months.
The extended break comes at an opportune time for a team that lost by 43 points in its first matchup against UConn.
Tip off with the Huskies will be Feb. 26 at 7 p.m. in the Sun Dome.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Open mic discusses impact of suicide
- USF staff member struggles with new sick leave policy
- USF is wary of winless UCF ahead of rivalry game
- Slow start is cause for concern for USF men's basketball
- The most wonderful time of the year
- Turkey, football and giving thanks
- UP arrests juvenile trespasser near Castor
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- The INs and OUTs of a Hospital Stay
- The Movie Studio Reveals New Opportunities for Indie...
- Brighten Your Holidays With LED Lights
- Tell Congress to Protect Paper Investor Reports
- Climb Stairs Without Hurting Yourself
- Is Your Baby Ready for Chewing?
- Millennials Are Determined to Lessen Their Kids' College...
- Organizar Un Maratón De La Película Star...
- Know Your Drug Costs Before You Leave the Doctor's Office
- Shopping for a New Sofa? Keep These Design Tips in Mind