Bulls blownout by Cardinals, again
History is said to repeat itself, and for the USF men’s basketball team it happened in the span of almost a month.
USF traveled to No. 11 Louisville for its second and last regular season matchup with the Cardinals on Tuesday night, and the Bulls experienced similar results to the last time they met up this season.
The Bulls didn’t lose by 39 this time, but they never led in the 26-point loss, which had few bright spots in the 80-54 game, marking USF’s fourth loss in a row.
The only player to reach double-digits in scoring, the only bright spot, was senior forward Victor Rudd, who contributed 27 points, half of the Bulls’ total, along with
Aside from Rudd, the Bulls’ offense struggled to keep pace with Louisville.
Three-point shooting was one of the biggest struggles.
USF is last in the American Athletic Conference (AAC) in three-point shooting. In Kentucky the Bulls only made one of their 10 attempts.
Aside from the struggles beyond the arc, USF (12-15, 3-11) shot 60 percent on two-point field goals. Despite this success, Louisville was able to overwhelm the Bulls due to their larger volume of shots.
The Cardinals took 71 attempts compared to the Bulls’ 45. This large margin was aided by the 12 fewer turnovers and 11 more offensive rebounds Louisville recorded.
Senior guard Russ Smith, who scored 19 points in 30 minutes, led Louisville. Unlike the Bulls, the Cardinals (22-4, 11-2) were able to spread their scoring output, with four players scoring at least 13 points.
USF will have eight days off to prepare for UConn, which will be the Bulls’ longest break in over two months.
The extended break comes at an opportune time for a team that lost by 43 points in its first matchup against UConn.
Tip off with the Huskies will be Feb. 26 at 7 p.m. in the Sun Dome.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Are You Eating Enough Vegetables a Day?
- Encryption Technology for Your Privacy
- Get to Know Sarcoidosis: A Complex, Misunderstood Disease
- What Is Million?
- Sugar Gliders, Pangolins & Foxes, Oh My! New Novel...
- Mom Knows Best: Even When Buying a Mother's Day Gift
- What the H? Rhum Finally Arrives to the Cocktail Party
- Study Finds Boomers Are Sinking Their Teeth Into Looking...
- Think Your Data is Safe? Think Again
- Congress Should Make It Easier for Taxpayers Who Still...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Course Hero Launches New Android App to Help Students Study Anywhere
- Ready for summer? Your next move can save you money, on self storage.
- GSK to Host "Rowing & Cycling Challenge" on World Meningitis Day
- Read the groundbreaking new book from Jeff Selingo, THERE IS LIFE AFTER COLLEGE
- ONE YOUNG WORLD'S ENVIRONMENT SUMMIT: THE ULTIMATE GRADUATION GIFT